What goes with sushi?

Options
Does anybody have any suggestions on a good pair for sushi? I love sushi but just don't know what to pair it with for a meal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Why not just Sushi? We used to get sushi with habachi chicken and rice and noodles, etc. Finally we started just ordering all different kinds of rolls and sushi. Just becareful that you watch the fried stuff, or the cream cheese filled things. I ate a meal of only sushi and was super full and didn't go over 500 calories!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooove sushi and make my own these days, got all the supplies. DELICIOUS. All I could suggest is a shrimp and rice combo to go with it, or skewered veggies perhaps?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I just eat a sushi roll and I'm satisfied. I guess you could eat a small salad with it, or some raw veggies...
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Soba! Soba! Soba!!

Buckwheat noodles are extremely healthy for you and are standard Japanese cuisine, so it automatically goes well with sushi! There are tons of recipes out there, from cold to hot. You can put it in salads and soups, and can even replace high glycemic spaghetti with low glycemic soba and have a much healthier Italian dish!
  • madoy042
    madoy042 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Edamame! It's a common Japanese dish and a high source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Miso Soup and Seaweed Salad.. mm mmmm
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I like to stop by the grocery store and just pick up one of those combo platters of Sushi but never really knew of anything good to pair with it. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!!
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Saki!!!
  • CherokeeBabe
    Options
    Saki!!!

:laugh:

The Edamame suggestion was excellent, I have 2 bags in my freezer, yummy!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like it with seaweed salad, but I'm not sure how that goes over with others, or how to make it.
  • CherokeeBabe
    Options
    Seaweed salad is delish too, but I'm with you, not sure how to make it myself and where to get the quality ingredients.
  • Badtz
    Badtz Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with madoy, edamame is the best!!! (exept for sake, of course, but isn't a very practical option when watching ones waistline)
  • 1204life
    Options
    sushi is so easy to make. you can see demos on you tube. supplies are cheap at an asian market!
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have any suggestions on a good pair for sushi? I love sushi but just don't know what to pair it with for a meal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Teriyaki chicken, skinless, cut into thin strips.
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm actually getting sushi for dinner...i pair it with a green salad and edamame...
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Second (or third?) the edamame or some fresh veggies with a drizzle of sesame oil/ginger/low sodium soy sauce dressing. But I was shocked to find that one of my beloved spicy salmon roll weighs in at about 450 calories! The 'spicy' part is made with mayonnaise in most recipes, I think ...definitely used in most restaurants. Still eat them a few times a month, though. If you stick with sashimi, not so bad. Also, if you're a tuna fan, try not to eat more than one serving a week ...mercury levels are a concern.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23sushi.html?pagewanted=print
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Second (or third?) the edamame or some fresh veggies with a drizzle of sesame oil/ginger/low sodium soy sauce dressing. But I was shocked to find that one of my beloved spicy salmon roll weighs in at about 450 calories! The 'spicy' part is made with mayonnaise in most recipes, I think ...definitely used in most restaurants. Still eat them a few times a month, though. If you stick with sashimi, not so bad. Also, if you're a tuna fan, try not to eat more than one serving a week ...mercury levels are a concern.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23sushi.html?pagewanted=print
    No Kidding! My spicy tuna is 290 cal...not happy about that...
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm new to eating sushi so I know this is going to sound completely retarted but what the heck is edamame?? :tongue:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Edamame is the name for the unprocessed soybean pods. You can find a bag of frozen ones in the frozen veggie section of the supermarket. They require very little work to cook (boil them for like 5-8 mins) and they are a lot of fun to eat... You squeeze open the pod and eat the little beans on the inside. They are nutritious and the beans can be added to salads if you like.

ETA: on the package they look like green string beans, usually.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Oh I think I know what those are! I LOVE THOSE!!! My Grandma always has them and I never knew what they are called! So awesome! Thanks! :bigsmile: