Cous Cous cakes mmmmm!

Options
I make these cakes/things out of cous cous which are really nice and healthy. I have them with a salad for lunch or just for a snack.

Make plain cous cous with boiling water and cling film as usual.

Chop up anything you wanna put in your cakes, I love lemon zest, lemon juice, chilli, garlic and fresh coriander and add to the cous cous with salt, pepper and 1-2 eggs depending on the wettness of the mixture.

Take a small handful and make a ball with it and pat it slightly so its now a disc shape. Do that with all the mixture.

Use a frying pan and use olive oil to fry them in till they are lightly browned and crunchy on the outside.

Enjoy!

They are good heated up or cold but best to have straight away as the outside is crunchy and I find they arent when heated up but up to prefrence!

Replies

• futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds good - I'll ave to try this one!!:wink:
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump for later - gotta get cous cous (love it, love it but none in the house!) Will let you know how they turn out!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    hm that sounds tasty! I always end up with a lot of leftover, and now they can be more creatively used!
  • 1204life
    Options
    yum! I bet this would work with quinoa too--even more nutritious!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Maybe I am dense, but what do you mean "cling film as usual"??????:huh:
  • charlottemay
    Options

Well I just put the cous cous and boiling water in a bowl with cling film on top to absorb the water, i dont know if thats how youre supposed to do it... i thought it was haha
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    mmm sounds good. Now I thought couscous was really high in calories? hope I'm wrong cause this sounds YUMMY :happy:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have some parmesan flavored couscous I plan to make tomorrow so I'm going to mix it with some egg beaters and make these couscous cakes!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Well I just put the cous cous and boiling water in a bowl with cling film on top to absorb the water, i dont know if thats how youre supposed to do it... i thought it was haha

Don't know about "usual" when it comes to couscous. The only way I have ever prepared it was by directions on the package of the East Nile brand, which calls for cooking in water and a saucepan until liquid is absorbed, but your way sounds fine to me.

I am going to try these soon. Sounds like a good alternative.

Regarding the question of calories, according to the MFP database a cup of cooked couscous has 176 calories and 6 gr of protein. This calorie account is similiar to an equivalent amount of some breakfast cereal.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Don't know about "usual" when it comes to couscous. The only way I have ever prepared it was by directions on the package of the East Nile brand, which calls for cooking in water and a saucepan until liquid is absorbed, but your way sounds fine to me.

I am going to try these soon. Sounds like a good alternative.

Regarding the question of calories, according to the MFP database a cup of cooked couscous has 176 calories and 6 gr of protein. This calorie account is similiar to an equivalent amount of some breakfast cereal.

A full cup of couscous is a lot. I usually only eat a half cup with my meals. It's really not that bad.