Eggplant Parm

Options
I am really craving eggplant parmesan, but I know it's loaded with sodium and everything else. Fried eggplant is so bad for you, let alone adding all of the other stuff.. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make it healthier or make something similiar to kick the craving?

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am really craving eggplant parmesan, but I know it's loaded with sodium and everything else. Fried eggplant is so bad for you, let alone adding all of the other stuff.. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make it healthier or make something similiar to kick the craving?

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eatingwells_eggplant_parmesan.html

Reduce the parmesan cheese and use crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce to less the sodium. Also, you can make homemade whole grain breadcrumbs by letting the bread dry out and then blending or toast them in a toaster. Mozzarella, you can look for fresh and grate yourself of go with a fat free or 2%.

I think I may make this next weekend!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I make eggplant parm all the time - and I've never fried it! Just slice up an eggplant into 1/2 inch-thick slices, toss in egg whites, then coat with a breadcrumb mixture - I usually use plain breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese & some kind of italian herb blend) - bake in the oven at 400* for about 15 minutes, turn and bake another 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Top with marinara & low-fat mozzerella and broil until cheese is melted.

Voila!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I make eggplant parm all the time - and I've never fried it! Just slice up an eggplant into 1/2 inch-thick slices, toss in egg whites, then coat with a breadcrumb mixture - I usually use plain breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese & some kind of italian herb blend) - bake in the oven at 400* for about 15 minutes, turn and bake another 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Top with marinara & low-fat mozzerella and broil until cheese is melted.

Voila!

This is exactly what I do! Mmmm, now I'm hungry...