Self Control

Options
13»

Replies

• amurphy198
    Options
    I can't have peanut m&m's in the house because I will eat the whole bag. Not the whole 5 lb. bag but I will eat way too many handfuls from it, thus upping my calorie count. But I will eat the whole small bag and that's about 200 calories right there that I don't need. I would like to think that I could eat just three or four pieces, but I know better. So I don't even buy them anymore.

Would it help if you didn't have the binge food at home in the first place? And if you have a craving and go to the store to get it, can you buy a smaller bag of chips? Like just the smallest snack bag? Not a lot of chips but enough to satisfy the craving and not big enough to binge one.

I think you might be "eating your emotions" as they say. A friend of mine used to call food her "best friend" and said she missed comforting herself with her best friend when she started dieting. However, she has lost about 200 pounds and she loves her new body more.

So being able to figure out what you're feeling when you binge (bored? mad? unhappy? stressed?, etc.) might help. I have discovered that I will eat when I'm bored. I would also grab something chocolately when I was stressed. I would grab a handful of m&m's and eat them while I was watching t.v. Not a horrible, horrible thing, but I didn't even pay attention to eating them and so, honestly, didn't even get to enjoy them, lol!

Yep, I totally eat my feelings when I'm stressed. Once the kids are in bed and I *finally* sit down to relax....that is when it gets bad. I try to keep the bad stuff mostly out, but my oldest son likes to get treats sometimes and damnable if I don't clean his candy dtash out when he goes to sleep. Geez, you know embarrassing that is! My kid has to hide food from me!
  • amurphy198
    Options
    Oh, and I love to cook. It is calming for me. Problem is I eat half of what I make before it gets to the table.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you truly ARE in control of what goes into your mouth. It can take awhile to access that part of you, I know. It is said that we humans resist change until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change.

I wish I had realized that I was in control all along about 30 pounds ago. But for some reason, I pretended that I wasn't until the day I realized that I truly was. Nobody was tying me down and force-feeding me; I did it to myself mostly (I now believe) because it distracted me from problems in my life that I wanted to ignore, like son being on drugs. It was so much easier to focus on hating myself.
  • me4sweetd
    me4sweetd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with portion control. It's like my mind tells me I have to finish the entire container. Whether I'm full or not, I have to finish my plate.

The way I have gotten around this is by:

1) since I have no control, I do not buy junk food. Period, in small or big portions, there are healthier options, so why risk eating junk food in one sitting.

2)if there is a prepackaged single serving option, buy it, even if its a little more expensive. If you eat the entire container in one sitting anyway, you will get more servings and therefore, it will actually be cheaper per serving and you will save money because it will last longer.

3) if I do buy something that is not already in single serving packs, as soon as I get home, I sit down weigh it out, and package it into single serving Ziploc snack bags and put it back in the original container. Doesn't matter what it is: snacks, loaf of bread, meats, cereals, etc. For example, if I buy a pack of hotdogs, they all go into their own baggie and then into a freezer size bag with the nutrition info from the hotdog package and then into the freezer. Costco also sells precooked bacon and I even divide that into individual baggies before it goes in the freezer.

4) the best options I have found for snacking are individually packaged cheeses(string, skinny cow, Babel, sticks), sliced fresh apples, fruit leather, and the can all be bought at Costco. I always take one and walk away from the kitchen before I start eating so I'm not tempted to shove it in my mouth and grab another one.

5) I keep non perishable single serving snacks in my glove box, LOCKED. That way I can't just grab one while I'm driving. I have to make the decision that I need one and make the decision to take only one.

6) make a Shoppe list before you go shopping and only buy what is on the list unless you see something that is in single serving packs you would like to try. Don't go shopping hungry, eat a cheese before you get into the store. If that still fails, I've even written inspirational notes on the backs of my hands so when I reach for something I see it.

7) as someone else suggested, I also know everything I'm going to eat for the day and have set times I eat. You should try to eat 6 times a day. i actually have to set alarm clocks so I don't forget and I don't really get hungry anymore, when I do get hungry, I notice it's around a half an hour PAST when I was suppose to eat. I keep it to around 100 calorie snack 3 times a day between 3 meals no more than 360 calories a meal.

8) most importantly, its been accountability. I take credit for everything I eat good or bad by writing it down. I don't always use myfitnesspal, I also have a old school notebook. Look at my meal for yesterday. I told myself I would only have one beer, but that didn't work out so well. I also skipped my afternoon snack which led to my poor decision making. But I don't beat myself up anymore, I just keep moving forward.
  • me4sweetd
    me4sweetd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have issues with this. Just this morning I had grabbed a whole bunch of hershey's kisses because "there were only a few left" and I was going to just finish them. I stopped before I had any and checked how many calories it would be and then promptly hid them from myself because I wasn't going to waste that many calories on just chocolate. I have found that when I portion myself out the serving suggestion I won't binge on the whole bag/box of whatever I am eating. Also, logging has helped me substantially. Just realizing how many calories I am actually going through has helped remind me what I am doing myself.
    I have also put up pictures on myself on all the cupboards and the fridge to help me remember.
    20121227_124719.jpg
    I've done something similar, but I have pictures of Britney spears and "is it worth it?". I have tried the whole shaming myself which leads to quitting, but I find inspiring myself leads to motivating.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    I have the same issue with portion control. It's like my mind tells me I have to finish the entire container. Whether I'm full or not, I have to finish my plate.

The way I have gotten around this is by:

1) since I have no control, I do not buy junk food. Period, in small or big portions, there are healthier options, so why risk eating junk food in one sitting.

2)if there is a prepackaged single serving option, buy it, even if its a little more expensive. If you eat the entire container in one sitting anyway, you will get more servings and therefore, it will actually be cheaper per serving and you will save money because it will last longer.

3) if I do buy something that is not already in single serving packs, as soon as I get home, I sit down weigh it out, and package it into single serving Ziploc snack bags and put it back in the original container. Doesn't matter what it is: snacks, loaf of bread, meats, cereals, etc. For example, if I buy a pack of hotdogs, they all go into their own baggie and then into a freezer size bag with the nutrition info from the hotdog package and then into the freezer. Costco also sells precooked bacon and I even divide that into individual baggies before it goes in the freezer.

4) the best options I have found for snacking are individually packaged cheeses(string, skinny cow, Babel, sticks), sliced fresh apples, fruit leather, and the can all be bought at Costco. I always take one and walk away from the kitchen before I start eating so I'm not tempted to shove it in my mouth and grab another one.

5) I keep non perishable single serving snacks in my glove box, LOCKED. That way I can't just grab one while I'm driving. I have to make the decision that I need one and make the decision to take only one.

6) make a Shoppe list before you go shopping and only buy what is on the list unless you see something that is in single serving packs you would like to try. Don't go shopping hungry, eat a cheese before you get into the store. If that still fails, I've even written inspirational notes on the backs of my hands so when I reach for something I see it.

7) as someone else suggested, I also know everything I'm going to eat for the day and have set times I eat. You should try to eat 6 times a day. i actually have to set alarm clocks so I don't forget and I don't really get hungry anymore, when I do get hungry, I notice it's around a half an hour PAST when I was suppose to eat. I keep it to around 100 calorie snack 3 times a day between 3 meals no more than 360 calories a meal.

8) most importantly, its been accountability. I take credit for everything I eat good or bad by writing it down. I don't always use myfitnesspal, I also have a old school notebook. Look at my meal for yesterday. I told myself I would only have one beer, but that didn't work out so well. I also skipped my afternoon snack which led to my poor decision making. But I don't beat myself up anymore, I just keep moving forward.

Love #8! I have been making myself write it down lately. It has really made me aware of how far the binging goes.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm an all or nothing person as well. here are some things that I've done that have worked

Soda, including diet soda - I can easily go through a 2 liter per day. I don't drink soda anymore, ever. It's just one of those things that I've let go entirely. It was difficult but it's gotten easier. I sometimes have carbonated fruit juice

Fast food - I hit subway regularly as there are decent options. When it comes to the McDonalds and similar things I get cravings. When I get a craving, I let it fester for a while. Often it will go away after a few days. If it doesn't, I indulge. I'll go to McDonalds with $2-3 in cash and have a few items off the dollar menu. It's typically enough to take the edge off the craving

Fried things - I do most of my own cooking and don't eat out much and I just don't fry at home.

Junk food - don't keep it in the home. When you need to indulge, you can buy small portions. A small bag of chips, a single serve ice cream. Buy one, don't keep extras in the home.

Working out - this is where the all or nothing personality helps. I ran, a lot. It helps on many levels.

Finally, LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT. Even if you go over your limit, log it. When you're going to indulge in something, log it BEFORE you eat it. Seeing the impact of your choices can help you make better decisions.
  • rebelchief
    rebelchief Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another thing for people who eat when they're bored to try is chew gum and keep that mouth busy. I ALWAYS have gum on me!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    even though it's kind of dramatic and a little shaming i have to agree with the poster who put up old photos. i don't use photos but i have a list of my reasons why i dont want to binge, why i want to be healthy and lose weight and i just put that up over my fridge and it actually works.
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If its sugar your craving try taking the supplement Cromium. If you find your craving chocolate around your monthly period it can be due to your body needing magnisium or calcium. Dark chocolate does contain these but also contains other not so nice things! Have a look at your diet patterns and make sure your getting everything you need from your meals.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your eating sounds very emotional. Are you having stress in other areas of your life?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have issues with this. Just this morning I had grabbed a whole bunch of hershey's kisses because "there were only a few left" and I was going to just finish them. I stopped before I had any and checked how many calories it would be and then promptly hid them from myself because I wasn't going to waste that many calories on just chocolate. I have found that when I portion myself out the serving suggestion I won't binge on the whole bag/box of whatever I am eating. Also, logging has helped me substantially. Just realizing how many calories I am actually going through has helped remind me what I am doing myself.
    I have also put up pictures on myself on all the cupboards and the fridge to help me remember.
    20121227_124719.jpg
    I've done something similar, but I have pictures of Britney spears and "is it worth it?". I have tried the whole shaming myself which leads to quitting, but I find inspiring myself leads to motivating.

I like your idea. Inspiration is so much better than shame.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Practice. Day after day.

It does kind of help that the Beast is in the middle of the kitchen.
  • Bjmtrainer
    Bjmtrainer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cut out processed foods. I have been eating only fresh foods for the lasst month and all of my cravings are gone. Never thought that would happen. I used to crave salty, sweet, dairy... everything. Now the cravings are gone. Seems like eating the processed stuff just makes you crave more.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Adapt to your strengths and weaknesses?

Can't manage a single serving of potato chips a day? Save those servings up until you can eat the whole bag at once and then go to town. As long as you meet your macros and calories weekly, you'll succeed.

My attitude is, why fight against your nature if you can find a way to make it work for you. Make those concessions that you can manage, and work around those that you cannot.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I cook and freeze in portions at home, in the morning I take out dinner to defrost. Portion is controlled, dinner is logged.
    Lunch is usually a huge 350g bowl if salad (80 caps, a tray of cooked meat (120 cal) , dressed with juice of s lemon, or slices of orange, or a pear. (80 to 100)
    Again all logged first thing.

Then I know how much I have left.

Somedays I may have enough for a cheese and crackers (my old nemesis) or a biscuit r s drink. But every choice is a concious one.

Plus I stopped buying crisps etc, if they ain't there they can't get in my mouth!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are struggling, you need to work on the mental and emotional aspects of why you are doing what you are doing before you try to lose the weight. I've been working on it for over a year now and for the first time in forever I'm losing and/or maintaining without the lose/gain it all back/lose again cycle. I recommend the book "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck. It's a cognative behavioral therapy approach to weight loss. If that one doesn't speak to you, I'd look more into cognative behavioral therapy and see if you can find a different book that uses CBT. It's been really beneficial for me and a lot of people I know.