exercise limitations

Options
Hi at 53 ive just joined my fitness pal after a recommendation from someone who has done amazingly well herself. I have limitations with exercising do to a back injury and a heart condition so would welcome any suggestions that could help me on my journey to being a healthier, fitter person.

Replies

• cfortin20
    Options
    Try walking a couple of miles per a day! You MUST consult with your doctors before starting any exercise, but walking is a good, low impact exercise. Moderation is most difficult for me, but I just joined fitness pal after reading about it on another website. Good luck to you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weight loss, and if not too steep a deficit, hopefully just fat loss - unless you want to lose muscle.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements, which may or usually not include weight loss, but can enhance only fat loss, and can make worse muscle loss.

So walking is fine for exercise if that's all you can do.

Picking up some weights that are heavy for you will help retain muscle in the face of the deficit.

And if using the MFP method where you get a deficit without any exercise included, select correct Activity level, Sedentary is not correct if home with the little one. Shoot, most find even with desk jobs they are a level higher anyway.

And select the recommended 1 lb weekly goal loss.

And since MFP does math with no knowledge of you exercise, when you log it, walking and strength training are accurate estimates, you eat those calories back to maintain the 1 lb weekly loss. You'll probably lose more anyway.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Anything like tai chi, yoga or pilates could be good.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The only people who should be giving you exercise advice are your doctors. If you have a limitation from specific medical issues, you need to adhere to whatever the doctors tell you.

There's nothing wrong with walking, swimming or other light exercise for weight loss. You can even lose weight without exercise at all.

It's all about diet. You, too, can be successful here.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    I would recommend consulting with your doctor. Not knowing your back injury and the extent of your limitations, the first thing that comes to mind is yoga. Yoga strengthens your back and core while providing cardio benefits as well.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You have medical limitations. Don't listen to anything here except to talk to your doctor.
  • Angie1366
    Options
    I saw a program on telly where a lady had a bad back - she couldn't pick up her kids... It was The FOOD HOSPITAL - I think it is Channel 4. They gave her advice which she carried out under strict medical supervision. Basically it involved slow small exercises and slow walking on a treadmill.
    She had a condition which meant the fat in the back was crushing her spine and discs... as she lost weight and strengthened the muscle she got better. It was amazing... SO...

Go to the doctors and follow their advice and ask for any help other than just a tablet