Breakfast Oatmeal bars

Options
Raphi
Raphi Posts: 124 Member
I planned to make those a while ago, and today, I went to the grocery and looked for granola bars for the kids to eat until I find some time to make some myself... Well I came home empty handed, because they are all full of sugar and ingredients that I can't pronounce... So today, I made time to bake these:

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Ingredients:
2 2/3 cups oats
1/3 cup flax seed meal
2 medium bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, whatever you want)
2/3 cup chopped nuts (i use pecans but walnuts, peanuts or sunflower seeds will work)
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1-2 tablespoon of honey
1 egg white
add a small amount of water if mixture isn't moist enough.
Preparation Instructions:
Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. add mashed bananas, liquid Ener-G Egg Replacer, oil and sweetener and mix well until blended and mixture is sticky. now this part is messy, but worth it. Shape dough into bars on a greased cookie sheet, making the bars about 1/3 inch thick. I would definitely recommend shaping all the bars at one time, because the longer the dough sits, the stickier it gets. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Remplacé les fruits par des chocolate chips, les chopped nuts par des pistaches et des grains de tournesol.
Nutrition Facts
User Entered Recipe
18 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories167.2 Total Fat9.0 g Saturated Fat2.0 g Polyunsaturated Fat3.1 g Monounsaturated Fat2.8 g Cholesterol0.0 mg Sodium19.0 mg Potassium196.9 mg Total Carbohydrate26.8 g Dietary Fiber4.7 g Sugars7.7 g Protein3.9 g

As I wrote in french, I traded the dried fruits by semi-sweet chocolate chips and the chopped nuts by pistachios and sunflower seeds.( I calculated the recipe that way, so the nutritional info up there is for my modified recipe)

they are a little bit pricey calorie wise, but they are also very filling, so you can cut them in half and they will sustain you as much as a regular granola bar.
Enjoy :)

Replies

• Raphi
    Options
    I just entered them in the data base under "home made Oatmeal breakfast bars"
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    hey thanx!:glasses:
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    bump!! sounds good, make me some!!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Now THAT sounds good! Thanx. :flowerforyou:
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.... I will have to make some soon! Thanks for sharing.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great these sound great and 167 for a breakfast on the run is a good amound calorie wise - with a cup of low fat milk would seem to be pretty well balanced as well :) thanks
  • Raphi
    Options
    My pleasure :flowerforyou:
    BigdaddyJ: I'll try to have some ready when you come visit me :tongue: !
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    These sound great, except for the mashed bananas. Think I could use applesauce in its place?
  • Raphi
    Options
    I think so... In fact, I only had 1 1/2 banana, and I added a few spoonfuls of apple sauce to compensate. You probably won't need to add water, though, and maybe it will be less sweet (unless you use sweetened apple sauce?)
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    bump - thanks!