Pain in calf muscle only while running

Options
So I am starting week 2 of my half marathon training. Last week I ran a total of 8 miles (1m saturday, 2m monday, 3mwednesday, 2m friday. The other days were rest days with 1 day of strength training)

Today I started with week 2 and a 2mile run. Yesterday my calfs were hurting but only about 5 minutes after I started running and right after I stopped. Same as today. It doesn't hurt when i'm not running and it doesn't hurt when i'm done, just while i'm running.

I want to think it's from running too much too soon but i've been running slow mileage all last week and need to up my mileage this week.

Could it be my shoes? I am going to a store this week that will fit me for running shoes.

History of this? No. I did have a little bit of shin splints back in June when I was running but it didn't last long.

Anybody ever have this kind of pain in the calf but only when running? What did you do?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    How are you stretching?

What mileage did you do the week before you started?

How did you decide on the shoes you wear?

What surface are you running on?
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How are you stretching?

What mileage did you do the week before you started?

How did you decide on the shoes you wear?

What surface are you running on?

I always make sure to stretch before and after. I take a lot of time to do that. I stretch my upper body and I stretch my legs a lot.

I was running no more than 2x a week and about 2 mile each time but I was running on the treadmill as it was too cold to run outside or I had time before a class so I ran on the treadmill.

The shoes I got are Aasics Gel Nimbuss 11. I always wear Aasics for my running shoes. I had them for about 4months though so I guess it's time for a new pair.

I run outside on the street/sidewalk.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    So you doubled (at least) your mileage and the number of runs last week? If I were your calf muscles, I'd be mad too.

Did you get fitted for the Nimbus at a store that specializes in running shoes and analyzed your specific gait? Nimbus is a very cushy, neutral shoe-if you overpronate, those aren't a good shoe for you.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's possible you're ramping up mileage too fast. x4 a week doesn't give you much recovery time. Maybe x 3 a week, or alternate days would work better for you till you get a little bit further on with your training?

Stretching is a key element in injury prevention, so it is important to look at what you're doing to stretch out. For instance, you're doing dynamic stretches to warm up? (Not static stretching, which increases injury risk.). I find good yoga stretching (pigeon pose, downward facing dog, etc etc), as well as a cal stretch that involves putting the ball of my foot against a wall, and easing my hips in towards the wall, keeps me feeling better. I stretch a minimum of 15 minutes after running, often longer.

Make sure your calves are soft in between runs. If they aren't, you're likely overusing and understretching.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    So you doubled (at least) your mileage and the number of runs last week? If I were your calf muscles, I'd be mad too.

Did you get fitted for the Nimbus at a store that specializes in running shoes and analyzed your specific gait? Nimbus is a very cushy, neutral shoe-if you overpronate, those aren't a good shoe for you.

I'm going to get fitted for new shoes this week. I just found a store that does that after asking around. You are right. I basically did double my runs.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    It's possible you're ramping up mileage too fast. x4 a week doesn't give you much recovery time. Maybe x 3 a week, or alternate days would work better for you till you get a little bit further on with your training?

Stretching is a key element in injury prevention, so it is important to look at what you're doing to stretch out. For instance, you're doing dynamic stretches to warm up? (Not static stretching, which increases injury risk.). I find good yoga stretching (pigeon pose, downward facing dog, etc etc), as well as a cal stretch that involves putting the ball of my foot against a wall, and easing my hips in towards the wall, keeps me feeling better. I stretch a minimum of 15 minutes after running, often longer.

Make sure your calves are soft in between runs. If they aren't, you're likely overusing and understretching.

I think i'll go to 3 runs. I did P90X stretch on Thursday and that felt good.

I was doing static stretching. Maybe I need to look into that more. Dynamic vs static. Thanks a lot.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I found that if I do some mild stretching to begin with then warm up a bit and then really stretch it helps a lot. Stretching cold muscles can cause as much damage as not stretching at all in my experience. I'm at the end of my 1/2 marathon training and my calf muscles are probably my "weakest link" so I got a pair of compression socks that I wear on long run days. Long run for me is anything over 5 miles. lol (I know the marathoners will laugh at that but hey.... it's a long ways for me!). I also have found that wearing compression socks or recovery socks after the race has helped a LOT in keeping my calf muscles from turning into jelly.

Good luck with your race! When is it? Mine is in three weeks and my only goal is to beat my current best time, nothing more. Even by 30 seconds I'll be happy. lol