Quitting smoking

Options
Here goes attempt # 3 to quit smoking. The other 2 times I tried to quit and was successful for about 3 months or so. My downfall each time was a social cocktail. I would be out and have a cocktail, someone would lite up and My decision making process was hindered from alcohol and boom I was a smoker again. Obviously the answer is to stay away from booze longer (quite possibly permanetly if thats what it takes). Any other tips out there from ppl successful at kicking this long term?

Replies

• leanne171717
    Options
    Hi, I have 15 1/2 years off the cigs, 22 years with no booze. They go hand and hand, which you have already found out. I had to stay away from all cigarettes and smokers for a year to stay off the cigarettes. The book Quit and Stay Quit by Dr. Terry Ruskin was the only book I found that actually worked for me. I did all the writings in the book, it made a huge difference. Good luck and never stop quitting!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Yes i do believe Its going to take no booze permanently to remain a non smoker. Thanks for the book idea!
  • MsJulielicious
    Options
    Did you notice a real difference in your appearnce after a certain time as a non smoker like I have read online?
  • tmoelmoe2
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 days ago and I do drink but I haven't had one since I quit smoking. It's only been 5 days and I feel really lazy, I thought I would have all of this extra energy and would be motivated to do other things but so far I'm just extremely tired!!!! I have thought about purchasing one of those electronic cigs but haven't actually done it. I really don't want to gain weight because I quit smoking that's my biggest challenge more than drinking. My true test will be tomorrow because it's my bff birthday and we will be out socially!!
  • MsJulielicious
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 days ago and I do drink but I haven't had one since I quit smoking. It's only been 5 days and I feel really lazy, I thought I would have all of this extra energy and would be motivated to do other things but so far I'm just extremely tired!!!! I have thought about purchasing one of those electronic cigs but haven't actually done it. I really don't want to gain weight because I quit smoking that's my biggest challenge more than drinking. My true test will be tomorrow because it's my bff birthday and we will be out socially!!

The other 2 times I quit smoking i actually lost weight (probably bc i cut out booze then too) But i was also active and ate well... I think the ppl that gain from quitting dont calorie count most likely
  • MsJulielicious
    Options
    Also have some nicoderm patches (7 mg bc i was a half a pack or less a day smoker) anyone use these or cold turkey?
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on my 4 year quit aniversary. Five days is great and you are feeling just like you should. Have you tried Quit.net? It's what got me through. It's too soon to feel energy, but you will. Keep it up!!!

I used the patch.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I quit on 4/2/12 after 48 years of smoking. I used the patch and also got my doc to write a prescription for Zyban/Wellbutrin to help with the craving and/or anxiety. There was an improvement in my appearance and especially a healthier color in my face.

Situational cravings can be really difficult. For me it was driving my car and talking on the telephone. For you it's having a drink, socially. I replaced the smoking behavior with hard candies whenever I would get a bad craving.

I also found it useful to take several deep breaths when I would get a craving. Just the feeling of inhaling huge amounts of smoke free air into my lungs made me feel physically and mentally better about quitting.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I quit almost 2 years ago by switching to an electronic cigarette and then tapering down my nicotine levels. Then for a long while I'd use it with nicotineless liquid when I was drinking, because otherwise I'd have the urge to smoke.

It's hard not to want a cigarette when you've been drinking, especially if you're around other people who are smoking!

Good luck quitting! Avoiding alcohol does sound smart.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way"
    Millions swear by it - lots of celebrities included.

It helped me become free almost a year ago.

I smoked a pack a day for 20 years.

You can do this!

Just remember that you can NEVER go back, not even one puff.
  • MsJulielicious
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I just put my jackets and other clothing items that smell like ciggaretes in the laundry, and my husband cleaned out both vehicles and sprayd them down with febreeze. Off to a good start. Going to go running now to take my mind off it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have a lot of triggers, and drinking is definetly one of mine.

electronic cigarettes work pretty well for me.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Get it done! It's a stinking habit and you really can't ever be truly fit if you smoke... For me, and it's years ago now, but I just gave up without any weight gain or trouble, it was just a decision that I wasn't going to do it again and I didn't. I think I took up coffee instead, skim milk, no sugar ;) Best of luck, you can do it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, you have to think of it a little like weight loss.

you are going to mess up. you'll have a smoke or two or five. don't let the binges knock you off your plan.

try to recognize your triggers and avoid them. the ones you can't avoid, try to be strong.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    I just passed my 4th year without cigarettes.
    It was done on an impulse [ran out of cigarettes and thought "I wonder how long I can go without buying a pack?"]. After a week [normally when I'd relapse from my 'planned' quitting], I felt pretty good, like it was a done deal and I just kept going.
    Chewed a lot of cinnamon gum.

I still miss the habit but, not enough to pick it up, ever again.

Good luck!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way"
    Millions swear by it - lots of celebrities included.

It helped me become free almost a year ago.

I smoked a pack a day for 20 years.

You can do this!

Just remember that you can NEVER go back, not even one puff.
    This is true. I smoked like a trooper for 32 years and tried almost everything to quit. Finally reading Allen Carr's book made me quit. And this book made me be excited to quit. I quit drinking as well because I don't trust my self. My anniversary date is Feb 26. Almost 2 years without smoking and still loving it.
  • alexvr12
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you want to hear - but I am one of those folks that has quit smoking about 4 times in his life. I am 62 now and began smoking when I was 17 and doing construction. My trigger was the cup of coffee in the morning with drinking being a secondary trigger. The first time I quit for about 13 years and then started up again when I was leading a team that was 90% smokers. The next time I quit for about 4 years and started up again when I joined a bowling team that was 100% smokers. I then quit for about 6 months and started up one night when I had been out drinking with a friend and came home to find my son and friend sharing beers and a cigarette. In any case what served as my motivation each time was the cost, smell, inconvenience and health aspects of smoking. I continued to focus on those items to keep me on the straight and narrow. I also found that stopping coffee in the morning and switching over to exercise helped a lot.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after 30 years! 2 1/2 years ago I decided I was quitting. I did. Luckily the bars around here are non-smoking.

You can do it!!!
  • MsJulielicious
    Options
    Thanks for all of the positive responses. I decided to try cold turkey, bc well I have never tried that before and so far so good. I KNOW I have to quit for real. Heart disease runs on both sides of my family and even after 6 months of running my HR still gets up to 220 sometimes. That's scary... I'm literally killing myself daily
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have quit for over 50 days using my e-cig and I'm stronger than ever , even tho I feel like a cig every day. I have done it over the hardest time as well xmas,new year and loads of birthdays.. I'm really proud of myself and now just need to lose weight and be strong.
    Well done to everyone that quit.