Nasty Vegetables...any suggestions :bigsmile:

Options
I have never been much of a veggie eater, but I understand the importance of them in my weight loss. I know that they are a necessary evil...lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else struggling with them? I have started adding them to my diet. What should I try?

Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, carrots, peas, any big green leafy vegetable. I like turnip greens, spinach, and seaweed.
  • BryVia12
    BryVia12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time too. I just power through them!
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Find veggies you like. Congress said pizza is a vegetable so it's totally legit.
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i am a lover of the veggies! however if you're not a fan why don't you try making a vegetable curry or add them to a pasta sauce? that way the spices and herbs will disguise them :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I like salad with lots of different kinds of greens in it. I also like a variety of frozen vegetable mixes (like Italian vegetables), although sometimes they're kind of ... icky. I think it must depend on how long they've been frozen.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    squash....zuchinni and yellow squash are delicious. cut the squash into small circles, and cook on a george foreman or put on broil to brown it a bit and then flip and repeat on the other side. it's so good!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    add enough butter and sugar to vegetables and even the pickiest eater will enjoy them.

not the healthiest suggestion, however, I've gotten a couple children to enjoy their vegetables by starting out drenching them in butter and sugar then slowly weaning them away from it until they were enjoying more simply prepared vegetable dishes.

also,

cut vegetables up in itty bitty tiny pieces and add them to all your other foods (soups, chilis, stews, pasta sauces, gravy, meatloaf, hamburgers, breads, cakes, smoothies...the possibilities are endless)
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I like to mix vegies with something I love:heart:

I love cheese so I make a broccoli-cheddar-almond soup
    I love potatoes so I make veg patties-- boil potatoes, carrots and peas together ,mash them up, add seasoning,shape them,pan fry
    I love pizza . . .so I buy some pizza bread . .slice all sorts of vegies (tomatoes, onions, bellpeppers) top it all up with some mozzarella and bake
    I love mayonnaise . . . so shred up some cabbage, lettuce, spinach---slice up some zuccini, squash, broccoli, pineapples, berries---mix in mayo and chomp on
    I love smothies . . so blitz some tomatoes, carrots, beets, spinach . . . .glug glug

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are delicious. Roasting gives them a nice sweetness. Try roasting carrots and parsnips after tossing them in a bit of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    take any veggie that's not a leafy green, put it on a cookie sheet (i also line with tin foil for easier clean up) or roasting dish, and roast them in the oven at 350 - 375 until they're . . . soft but crunchy looking on the outside, maybe 20 min.

I've done this with brussles sprouts which i thought were gross until i threw them together with a bit of olive oil and then a bit of salt or pepper. Do it with broccoli, carrots, onions, and whatever mix. Search on "broccoli recipe" here and you should come up with a really tasty one involving broc, shredded parmesan, olive oil and pine nuts. It's really, really good!

roasted veggies in the cold winter are really great.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    My husband refuses to eat any kind of veggies, so what I do is cook a ton of them, I then puree them and add them to soups, pasta sauces and the like. He never notices them. He sometimes even somrimes even says " wow this is really good.", I
    Think that perception is really key.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Find veggies you like. Congress said pizza is a vegetable so it's totally legit.

You read that on the internet so it has to be true.
  • beatlebomb
    Options
    Try mashing cauliflower with garlic and a tsp of olive oil. Add a teaspoon of parmesean cheese and omg you will want to keep making it. Very tasty. I don't know if you have any favorite spices but try any of the spices you love add them to your veggies and see what you think.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Add veggies to soup. Add veggies to marinara sauce. Add some greens to your smoothies. make some stir fry using the bags of cut up vegetables and put a bit of sauce and some chicken.. YUM

Don't just boil up 2 cups of cauliflower and spoon it onto your plate and expect it to taste good when you're not used to eating vegetables.... Slice into small florets and toss it in a bit of olive oil, garlic powder and salt then roast it in a hot oven for 20 minutes then sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and cook for 5 more minutes.. AMAZZZZZZZING.. though you are getting more calories from the oil and cheese, it's so worth it.

I add handfuls of baby spinach to just about everything. It has a very mild taste... It's especially great in marinara sauce.

Consider juicing or smoothie making. carrot-orange-ginger juice tastes like a dessert... and cucumber/celery/kale/lemon/apple takes some getting used to but for about 200 calories you get 5 servings of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit and I think it tastes quite good!
  • BluNinjaneer
    BluNinjaneer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I try to fold veggies into my everyday cooking: spinach and chives in scrambled eggs, California sushi rolls with avocado, fresh mushrooms and onions thrown into a jarred pasta sauce (good suggestion lucypeaks), etc. Worst-case scenario, I steam an individual package of corn (Birdseye brand, IIRC) and have it accompany whatever my main course is (which gets a little odd if it's a bowl of cereal, but you get the gist!).

Good luck!
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to make a veggie stir fry out of just about any veggie. Add a little stirfry sause or hot oil and spices and its great.
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Veggies are your friend! They really do taste good when prepared properly. I like to steam or grill them!

My favourites are:

Asparagus
    Carrots
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Tomatoes especially grape tomatoes!
    Spinach, raw only I don't like it cooked, too mushy!
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Green beans
    Potatoes
    Green/red/yellow/orange peppers
    Corn

Try a variety of vegetables and see which appeals to you, they'll "grow on " you in no time lol!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are delicious. Roasting gives them a nice sweetness. Try roasting carrots and parsnips after tossing them in a bit of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.

dont forget the brussel sprouts! they are divine!
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I never ate many till last year, mostly salad before that.

spinach in smoothies, in place of some lettuce in a salad or in a wrap
    roasted broccoli or asparagus- I won't eat it them any other way
    roasted or mashed cauliflower

don;t be afraid to season them, salt, garlic, onion etc

check out skinnytaste.com we love the spinach lasagna rolls or the chicken rollatini w/ spinach