Chinese Buffet

Options
Hi all new on here. Going to Chinese Buffet tomorrow- order off menu type of place. Can anyone recommend types of dishes to eat? Know that fried starters/sweet and sour etc are out!

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    Options
    Shrimp or veggie spring rolls! Low cal and delicious!
  • huddboro
    huddboro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Would veggie Spring rolls not be fried? Ideas on mains?
  • kristiontheinside
    kristiontheinside Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get egg drop soup. Or something with shrimp and veggies.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Would veggie Spring rolls not be fried? Ideas on mains?

the rolls i believe are fried. maybe try a stir fry type of dish? im not too sure, chinese food places are, often times, the worst dietary offenders
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is this dimsum style where they come by with a cart or the kind where they have all the food sitting out?

for the food sitting out style i usually go for the steamed veggies and any of the meat dishes where the meat isnt breaded. teryaki style chiccken is good or the meat dishes with string beans and sesame seeds is OK.

steamed rice instead of fried. brown rice if you have the option

for the dimsum style that will vary widely, but i usually go for the rice steamed inside lotus leaves (so delicious!), the steamed bok choy/rabe, steamed dumplings, and some kind of chicken dish. those are the basics but i will also try 1 or 2 pieces of something new. that's part of the fun of dimsum
  • huddboro
    Options
    App says 79 cal per spring roll which is ok- good call on stir fry!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    App says 79 cal per spring roll which is ok- good call on stir fry!

I'd be wary of that. Depending on the size, fillings, etc... it could be way off.
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    OMG! I love you! I was just looking for this aswell since I have to do the same thing tomorrow
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When we go to Chinese I always get chicken skewers or chicken lettuce wraps sometimes with a little brown rice.
  • huddboro
    Options
    Veg ones are 79- crispy beef over 550 and duck pancakes 180 each. Unbelievable!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Go for wonton soup (it's broth) and the dumplings are filling and not fried, 200 cals a bowl if 3 small dumplings max.

Go for dishes with "ginger and spring onions" as they aren't usually doused in sauce and the meat is not deep Fred.

Stir fries too but they do add a lot of oil... It just would be better than egg fried rice!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Other than steamed rice, everything is cooked in lard, or so says my friend that worked in one.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could go to a chinese buffet and not eat myself silly. argh! Even seeing a post titled such is killing me. waaaa LOL
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    if they have open hibachi grill, they usually allow you to pick out the type of meat you want and veggies..you put all that you want in a bowl and they cook it right in front of you...be wary of the sauces they use...

as far as buffet..usually they have shrimp some sort of fish and always chicken. steamed veggies for sure..and usually they have some sort of salad bar..
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    You could just asked for a chicken and steamed veggies stir fry and stress that you want the sauce on the side.
  • elsinora
    Options
    There is no way I could go to a chinese buffet and not eat myself silly. argh! Even seeing a post titled such is killing me. waaaa LOL

This comment with the cat profile pic is so amazing.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Why even bother?
    When I go I try to keep my calories down to 3000.....:bigsmile:
    I eat until I just hurt!
    Moderation is paramount....
  • elsinora
    Options
    Other than steamed rice, everything is cooked in lard, or so says my friend that worked in one.

Yeah pretty much. If it was off a menu then there are non fried stuff but Chinese buffets are full of the cheapest and more fried of the foods, so stir fry is the best really....
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken and broccoli (no sauce). Most of the places we order from have a "diet menu". The stuff is made in a wok, but they don't add oil or salt or anything like that, and then they bring the sauce on the side. I usually end up with a million pounds of chicken and vegetables.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and beef