The Most Important Thing You Have Learned From MFP

Options

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I learnt there is no such thing as 'Starvation mode'

I learnt this also, as well as - there are more inane opinions about weight-loss than I ever knew
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It is never done. When you reach a goal, get a new one.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit
    Lift Heavy
    Eat a lot of protein
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    that even whack jobs, super hyper sensitive people and total loons also want to lose weight
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    To not spend too long on forums and online and get out there and do, live and be what I have researched...(because some of the posts just annoy and sadden the bejessus outa me)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That there are other people out there with the same ambitions as myself and it is just as important to give motivation & support as it is to receive it!
    ^THIS and volume,volume,volume!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    And most importantly-I learned what a thigh gap is, and that's it's an actual goal for some people. Hmm.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Treats and indulgences are OK and are very necessary for my sanity. The thing I have to remember is that I still have the same calorie goal, no matter what the food choices are. I either have to save room in my count or make room in my count if there's something extra that I want that day.

Save room or make room.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    to exercise does not mean you loose weight.... it is mainly diet...

to use exercise to keep me healthy and diet to balance the weight

weight is not directly proportional to size

weight is immaterial body fat % is the one you have to think about

training 6 days a week is bad, better to train 4 times a week at stupidly high intensity..

results are not proportianal to days trained

there are people out there who are light weight living very very unhealthy lives primarliy to keep skinny

americans do no have "cheese" with everything
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    What's the most important thing you have learned on MFP? Mine is that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight! Actually, it's much better if you don't!

Exactly the truth and what's needed for fat loss.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well, I've only been on about a week but in that time i've learned that i don't eat quite as well as i thought i did. So no more doing the math in my head and guessing at where i'm at---now i know for sure and It's so much easier to make better decisions.
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    That it really is up to me to make this change. The pals I have on here are encouraging, but they are not physically here to push me. I have to do that myself, and I am so proud when I just get it done!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1: That my original diet was (is) very healthy and had few calories.
    2: That my original activity level was (is) healthy, a good combination of cardio and strength.
    3: That what stopped me from losing weight despite this was illness leading to an extremely low metabolism.
    4: When my metabolism was turned up, my body worked the way it was supposed to, and a generally aknowledged healthy calorie deficit lead to weight loss.

Without MFP I'd have kept believing I was eating insanely much, and that was why I couldn't lose weight. I was mentally flogging myself for being lazy and greedy. Logging set that straight, and I could focus more on why my body didn't work like it was supposed to.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Calories.Calories.Calories.Calories.
    Strength Training.Strength Training. Strength Training.
    Eat if it fits your macros.Eat if it fits your macros.Eat if it fits your macros.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I learned how terrible my diet used to be before I logged my calories! I'm pretty sure I was eating around 3000 without even realizing it. I'm much more aware of what I am putting in my mouth now!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I learned some basic HTML coding, and how to find and utilize the snarkiest gifs.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :wink: 1. if you are not truthfull on here then you will not lose weight!
    2.weigh your bloody food don't just guess it....tut tut tut shame on you all for not doing that! :wink:
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The importance of logging in DAILY even in maintenace.

I had gotten down to 130, but have since gained it all back. I think that this is the key to maintaining weight loss, and I have learned from that mistake. I'm back now with a vengence. I've logged on now for 10 days straight, and its that accountability I feel will help me this time around. Now at 40, I see its not as easy maintaining a healthy weight as when I was much younger. I need the discipline and support MFP provides because I can't do this alone. This is helping me to understand that it is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet until I get to my goal weight. I have a lot of family members that are diabetics, and I'm all about living a healthy lifestyle and only going to the doctor for my yearly physical. I'm interested in learning from as many people as possible and building a positve network of like-minded people. Besides, I'm a stressed out 6th grade science teacher :explode: , and I could use all the help I can get!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am an above-average speller.
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    NOTHING is off limits as long as I don't exceed my calorie budget. How liberating is that!!:happy:
    I like that too! :smile: