The Real World...Real Resources for You

Options
Hi All,

I have done pretty much every diet 9 (including the books and video's)...like everyone else. What I've come to realize, is that we already know what we need to do. We don't need diet guru's, or diet books to tell us what to eat. We already know what we need to eat (a balanced diet via the Food Pyramid). We know what we don't need to to eat. I bet we can all list the foods. I'll name a few off the top of my head: refined sugar, anything with bleached white flour, high fructose corn syrup, GMO's, soda, alcohol (unless it's red wine, only 1x a day), tobacco, caffeine, candy, milk chocolate (ugh), and so forth.

We know that we need to exercise at least 3 times a week, for approximately 20-20 minutes. We know we need to get our hearts pumping, we need to sweat a little. Many of us know that stress can kill us, literally. So...we know that we need to create a time of peace in our lives...whether we achieve that through meditation, tai chi, yoga, jogging, swimming..and so forth.

There are some resources that are good to check out....like "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Amata. He categorizes us by blood type..and it really makes a lot of sense. But even that...if we just listen to our bodies..really listen, we can figure out what is not good for us and what is. We know if we eat certain foods, we feel gross, depressed, tense, sick, achy, headaches, tired, slow, old. If we eat other foods, we feel energetic, happy, relaxed, ready to greet the day, younger and so forth.

We are social creatures, so resources like this one "My Fitness Pal", help us set goals for ourselves, network with like minded individuals, teach us about what we eat, how much we eat, and help us take responsibility for our own nutrition. Kudos to them!

I know that we females eat for reasons other than hunger (guilty!)...but we know what we need to do to help that also. Social support like these sites, or Over Eaters Anonymous (OA) for those who really need regular support (I have the book, I admit it). When we are triggered, instead of heading for the fridge or cupboards, we need to talk a walk, call a girlfriend, grab a carrot (has that crunch and sweetness we crave), or...take a nap.

If you are someone who really likes the workout, and feel like you can leave your home...Curves is a great place. You won't get caught up in the superficial nonsense about how you look in your workout clothes...and just get to business. It's also month to month, so you don't get stuck with completely ridiculous contracts. For myself, I bought Zumba for the Wii, and I'm determined to start doing it. I heard Zumba is not only a great workout...but really fun. When I get comfortable with my body, I just may join a group, or maybe take up belly dancing. :)

Anyways, thanks for listening. Good luck on your weight loss goals! Peace.
Jen

I am not a fitness guru, or a coach, or a teacher or even an author. I'm a real person just like you.