It's harder to get very defined abs if....

Options
you have a longer torso. Also if you're an hourglass. I saw several people saying this in a post I read. I wouldn't say I have long torso, but it's longish. My legs are still longer, but my torso definitely isn't short at all. And I'm an hourglass shape. I have wondered why I never saw any hourglass shaped women with very defined abs, I guess this is the reason. Can anyone tell me why these factors make it harder?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/837789-what-makes-abs-look-different <this is the thread I'm referring to.

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I guess no one knows why :(
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that's true.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    edited because I didn't read it all.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Its not true, I have a long torso and it wasnt an issue.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you named your topic "It's hard to get very defined abs. PERIOD." that would have been more accurate. very defined abs are a result of very low BF%. hourglass figures imply a curviness that is not usually associated with a state of extremely low BF. .
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    If you are the type of person that has a slim waist and stores fat in the female curvy areas, then you will almost always have visible abs at a lowish BF%. In my photos I am in a blue bikini. I don't know if you would consider me hourglass or pear shaped, but I do have visible abs and around 18% body fat. And that photo was from before I started weight lifting.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    if you named your topic "It's hard to get very defined abs. PERIOD." that would have been more accurate. very defined abs are a result of very low BF%. hourglass figures imply a curviness that is not usually associated with a state of extremely low BF. .

So you can't be hourglass & get to low BF%? I figure my waist is always gonna b smaller than my hips, by quite a bit.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    If you are the type of person that has a slim waist and stores fat in the female curvy areas, then you will almost always have visible abs at a lowish BF%. In my photos I am in a blue bikini. I don't know if you would consider me hourglass or pear shaped, but I do have visible abs and around 18% body fat. And that photo was from before I started weight lifting.

I have a smallish natural waist (26 5/8in at 25% BF) but I'm a high hip hourglass or figure 8, spoon, whatever..lol & I carry my weight around my high hips in my lower belly and love handles. I'm hoping I will have some kind of definition by 17% which is my goal.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

So you can't be hourglass & get to low BF%? I figure my waist is always gonna b smaller than my hips, by quite a bit.
    i think he means looking at humans anatomically when they are just LBM, everyone's waist is a bit smaller than their hips. definitely true on a skeletal level because noone's spine is thicker than their pelvis

what gives you hourglass shape is fat. if you have low body fat then logically you will look less like an hourglass because you'll have less fat on your boob and hips
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I have a smallish natural waist (26 5/8in at 25% BF) but I'm a high hip hourglass or figure 8, spoon, whatever..lol & I carry my weight around my high hips in my lower belly and love handles. I'm hoping I will have some kind of definition by 17% which is my goal.

I can't predict what your outcome will be. I've always had visible abs. My figure is either a neat hour glass (because I am trim and fit) or whatever the equivalent is in pear shape. I have abs because my mid section is always very small and I do not store fat there (or on my back). I store fat on my butt and thighs. My waist to hip ratio is 23-34. That's me in my ticker. And in the bikini photo, you can see how slim my waist is and curvy I am on the bottom.