5'3" ladies and 1200 calories

Options
So I am just wondering if any other women around 5'3" are having any success with consuming around 1200 calories and if so, are you exercising and do you eat back the calories burned?

Replies

• kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 5'3, I'm 5'4 and I struggle on a 1200 calorie diet. When I am on it and in the diet mode than I generally stay under it or more and do not eat my exercise calories back generally. I figure if I want to lose weight than I can't really afford to go over so I try hard to stick to my 3 meals a day with very small snacks in between. I have lost a lot of weight on this diet in the past.
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That is good to hear...I just mainly didn't want to spend time doing it just to find that it doesn't work. I hear so many people say, you have to eat more.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on the person. I'm 5'2'' and tried the 1200 calorie thing for 3-4 weeks. I'm still trying it, but finding that I need around 2000 to function. I also started weight training, so more calories are needed. I constantly go over calories, but i'm still losing weight and my metabolism seems faster.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I was eating 1200 cal/day, but I have been adding 25 kcal per day and waiting a week and seeing if I stopped losing weight, and I am up to 1350 and still no stoping the weight loss (I am trying to maintain now). I eat back about half of my work out calories.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3" and MFP sets me up for a little over 1200 calories. I exercise 6 days per week and burn from 350-450 calories. I eat each and every one of those exercise calories! On the one day per week I don't exercise, I usually go over on my calories by 100 or 200. I have lost 1 pound per week using this strategy.

If I weren't exercising, I would really struggle on 1200 calories per day. Just having the 400 extra calories means an extra snack and little bit more at dinner. Oh, and a cocktail now and then...
  • monkeys_mom
    monkeys_mom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft even. When I started my weight loss journey in January 2011, I weighed 155. I didn't really count calories for a year, lost 25 lbs. For the past year, I've lost 21 lbs (with two months off due to ectopic pregnancy) counting calories. I started at 1200, didn't really exercise until recently ( I do NOT eat back those calories cause I only do 50 minutes of cardio a week) and having been eating roughly 1300 calories for the past 4 months. I've continued to lose eating 1300, but slowly as I'm nearing my goal weight of 105. For me, it's maintainable if I watch everything I eat. I also don't mind losing so slowly, so I do go over on occasion.

I really don't understand the hype over a very petite, short women who isn't overly active eating 1200 calories.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" I generally eat between 1100-1200 calories a day. The only time I eat back any exercise calories is if I burn at least 400 calories or more for the entire day.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and am working out every day mon-friday and am at 1200 calories and am losing weight. When I work out and have extra calories, i'll have that cheeseburger at dinner if I want.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and have to be under 1200 to lose weight. I'm still not with the program after the holidays, which is why I'm high for me. I've begun doing some limited exercise after an injury -- bike work. It's something, but not as good as running. I never eat back exercise calories because that would be self-defeating.

Sure, I overeat (and pay for it) all the time. But I never see exercise as a license to eat more. Exercise is important but it's not the best way to lose weight, only calorie reduction is.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm 5'3", at almost 1,800 a day. Just add exercise (weightlifting/cardio). I do cardio because I'm also training for rugby.
  • terrieg73
    terrieg73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 1200 is not enough for me, I get too tired and very cranky. If I up it to 1400 I still loose weight, can function well at work, and don't have cravings that ruin my efforts.
  • MsBecky777
    Options
    I just started today--1200 is going to be tough
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    im 5'3 and on the 1200 cal diet. i was doing pretty good till the holidays :( have had a rough time since then tryin to "adjust" today however was/is my first day since the holidays that i think i will be able to stay within my calories. i lift weights and do cardio. on days whe i cant make it to the gym, i do dvds (step, jillian michaels, pilates) today i did the Firm Step and 30 day shred. ive had a busy day and have not really had the chance to sit there and stuff my face(this has happened since the holidays:sad: ) friend me if youd like :flowerforyou:
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and MFP gave me 1200 cal limit too. I lasted about 3 days and did some research. Figured out my BMR and TDEE. I set my cal limit at 20% below that which is about 1800 for me. I just started this journey, and I'll adjust as I go, but this is comfortable for me right now. I have energy to exercise and I don't think I've actually eaten 1800 cal since I changed it.
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and I tried the 1200 cal thing quite a few times. After many minor successes followed by disaster I finally realized that just isn't enough food. My metabolism each time would quickly slow to a crawl and I would actually begin to gain weight (while starving myself! the irony!) IF you believe it's working and enough food for you, then hey, who am I to say anything. I personally, however, do not recommend going under 1500 - that's my 2 cents.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and lost 60 pounds a few years back eating 1200 calories per day, then exercising about 800 off and not eating those back. I ended up gaining back all of the weight that I had lost, plus an additional ten pounds, because although it was effective for quick weight loss, it was not realistic. A friend of mine who is a nutritionist told me that, even after exercising, women need to maintain a minimum of 1200 calories taken in per day in order to avoid having their bodies go into "starvation mode" and starting to stockpile fat stores. I also found that this extreme diet had negative effects on my metabolism; now I try to maintain at least 1200 calories per day AFTER counting my workout, and I cut dairy because of a medical condition, and I am already seeing results about three weeks in, and I am not hungry or cranky anymore.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Am 5'3.5 and I eat around 1600 calories day. I do not eat back my workout calories, but if I have large burn, then I may eat about 100 calories or so. I started at 1200 calories and I did lose 30 pounds at first, but then my weight loss eventually slowed down. I tried eating about 1800-1900 when people told me I should eat more, but I GAINED so much weight that I jumped off that train, lol.

It took me a while, but it seems that 1600 calories is the best calorie level for me. I have been losing weight when I increased to 1600. The thing is that everyone is very different and what works for one may not work for others. Therefore, you may have to play around with your calories to see what works for you. Good luck.
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 158 pounds. I only eat about 1200 on my no workout days (when I still want to achieve 500 cal deficit).
    I feel the best at 1400-1500 cal a day: no hunger, no crazy cravings, can look at chocolate without salivation :)

I generally try to keep myself at 500 deficit so if my burn for the day is high - I will eat more, like 1700-1800 cal.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am doing well, but I find that I actually lose about .5-1 pound a week instead of my 2 pound goal. I suspect this is because a 1000 calorie deficit puts me closer to 1000 calories- and that is just wack. I eat back every single exercise calorie though. I have a fitbit to track my activities, and on active days I usually get 200 calories extra + workouts. So, I guess you could say I actually eat 1600 calories a day working out and staying busy.