Overshooting Daily Protein Intake

nbuehrmann
nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been logging in daily food intake on this website the last few weeks (an awsome website and can't beleive it's free!) but I notice I'm consistently overshooting my protein intake even though I'm meeting my net calories for the day, and I'm usually way under in carbs and fats...
Is this something I should put effort towards correcting?

Replies

• nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    So I've been logging in daily food intake on this website the last few weeks (an awsome website and can't beleive it's free!) but I notice I'm consistently overshooting my protein intake even though I'm meeting my net calories for the day, and I'm usually way under in carbs and fats...
    Is this something I should put effort towards correcting?
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    I don't know the answer to that but this was discussed before and here is the link to the post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813-going-over-in-protein
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    You can also change your allocations on your home page under your goals.

55% Carbs
    15% Protein
    30% Fat
    =
    165g from Carbs
    45g from Protein
    40g from Fat

You can change these percentages. You are used to using South Beach or LA Weight Loss, aren't you? Most of us go over in protein it seems by the MFP defaults.
  • There is so much controversy out there as to how much protein you need. This site will default you to 15% (which isn't much).

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum....I'm trying to "Zone" so I'm supposed to have 30% protein and I'm finding myself undershooting daily protein intake.....protein really does seem to be the hardest category to get just right....it's easy to figure out your carbs and fat is no problem, just avoid fat all together you'll still get plenty ....but protein really takes some planning!
  • Too much protein should not be a problem unless you are getting too much, such as over 100 g per day, dependent upon your weight, of course.
    Bariatric patients are encouraged to use this formula: Your goal weight / 2.2*1.25 (125#/2.2 * 1.25=71 g of protein per day), this formula from "Before and After" by Susan Maria Leach at www.bariatriceating.com .
    If you are goal weight and want to maintain then keep within 5-10 g per day of that goal and never more than 25 g at any given meal. The typical portion of protein is either the size of a deck of cards or half a deck. This doesn't take long to learn. Each ounce of meat protein is about 6-8 g of protein per ounce. So consider that when eating your protein
    The only thing I don't like is that I am hypoglycemic so I can't eat all those government suggested carbohydrates. I limit myself to about 30-60 per day. That is what works best for me.
    Read about protein, carbs, fat and other nutrition. It is fascinating and you will be informed for your best health.
    Try this book: "Mastering Leptin" by Byron J Richards, CCN. Absolutely fascinating about our government recommended dietary needs.
    Good luck!
    nancy
This discussion has been closed.