Substitute for mayo?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    Options
    Dijon mustard. 0 calories and adds lots of flavor to sandwiches.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    So I'm craving egg salad- BAD. I know the mayo isn't good for me.

I was thinking of trying hummus or greek yogurt, but wasn't sure how they'd taste. Any suggestions?

forget about "good" vs. "bad".

mayonnaise in your food won't hurt you as long as you're not mixing up mayonnaise milkshakes in your blender and chugging them daily.

it's all about fitting it into your macros and calorie goals. if it fits, eat it and enjoy. if it doesn't fit, see if you can tweak your diet for the day to make it fit. if not, then don't eat it.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use reduced fat cream cheese in small quantities in dishes similar to this (don't like egg salad myself) might be worth a try as it does give that creamy feeling. Great in pasta sauces for instance, so it should be OK with eggs...
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This recipe totally satisfies my craving for egg salad. I leave out the mayo and yogurt it calls for and add onions. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/avocado-egg-salad.html I also add a some of this: http://www.amazon.com/Frontera-All-Natural-Guacamole-Mix/dp/B000NKB3BM Heaven if you love avocados...
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use avocado. And hey, then you can have green eggs and ham! :)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Make your own. It's pretty easy and tastes so much better!! Besides mayo (especially homemade) isn't a "bad" food and you don't use too much really.
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've used a teaspoon of lite ranch and Dijon mustard to taste, i make in one egg at a time batches and comes to around 100 cals. delish and not too too bad, tho the lite ranch is not "clean" by any stretch if you're aiming for that....
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    32964950.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I use an olive oil based mayo... not because it is "better" for me, but because I prefer it. I have learned over time though that I can get away with using a lot less then I ever thought though!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mayo because I don't like it. If I did like it and was craving it, I'd eat it. Just eat a moderate amount and fit it into your daily calories and macros.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    32964950.jpg

Bwhahaha! I love this meme!

You guys are correct- I'm sure nothing will taste as good as the real thing. I'm afraid I'll splurge. Portion control isn't one of my strong suits, so if I can make modifications to make it a little better for me I like to do that!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Get a mayo made with olive oil.. or whip up your own (or an aioli) instead. Healthy fats... just don't eat a lb of egg salad in a sitting.. and account for it in your diary/caloric goals
    This. 1tsp per egg is enough and that's about 30 calories, and you get to eat the food the way you enjoy it..... you don't mess with comfort food, ever. lol
  • mrsricta
    Options
    My advice is to use a little mayo, just try not to use too much, use some mustard as well. When I make egg or chicken salad I use a very small amount of each, it's not as creamy or thick (a dryer version if you will) but tastes good and I can feel better about eating it!