my kid is my running partner ... is this ok??

Options
Okay, so I have a question. I am doing C25K, and my 9 year old son LOVES to run with me. He and I ran together this morning, finishing up week 1 of the program. He is fine with the running 60 seconds, but he gets winded the last few cycles. My question is this, how long should I allow him to run with me?? Can I expect him to be able to keep up as the intervals increase, and is there a point where too much running can be harmful for him as he is still growing and developing?? I LOVE spending the time with my little man, and I LOVE that he wants to be a part of my healthy lifestyle ... I just don't want to do anything that will hurt him ... Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to include your son. I think you should let him participate as long as he wants to. If he can't finish, then stop and you finish your run later. Eventually, he'll gain the endurance to run the whole thing with you. Wouldn't that be a great accomplishment for him too!
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    that's adorable and i think its perfectly healthy
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    c25k a 9 year old is totally fine. Hopefuly being winded will decline as you go forward, but if not, you should slow down so he can carry on a conversation with you. Won't impact your fitness improvement at this stage - most new runners try to go too fast. FInd a pace where you can both carry on a conversation.

FWIW while I run a lot, my 11 year old son has decided he wants to get Presidential Fitness award this spring. So I have him doing c25k as well. I do my run, pick him up, and go back out with him. He just finished week 3. It's been a lot of fun. I'm sure making memories we'll share forever. Same for you, I hope.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When I was at the resolution run newyears eve there were a couple of hundred kids running with thier parents.
    That being said
    I am so jealous that your son runs with you , wish mine would run with me.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have a question. I am doing C25K, and my 9 year old son LOVES to run with me. He and I ran together this morning, finishing up week 1 of the program. He is fine with the running 60 seconds, but he gets winded the last few cycles. My question is this, how long should I allow him to run with me?? Can I expect him to be able to keep up as the intervals increase, and is there a point where too much running can be harmful for him as he is still growing and developing?? I LOVE spending the time with my little man, and I LOVE that he wants to be a part of my healthy lifestyle ... I just don't want to do anything that will hurt him ... Thanks for any input!!

In my neighbourhood, the fathers [and very few mothers] of boys within your sons age-range [+/-] run together [sometimes as an entire family-core], minimum of twice a week. I personally think it's beyond remarkable and the fact that you genuinely do enjoy spending time with him - is exemplary.

Edited to add: I'd always had to road run alone [if not with my sister and my brother], with my Dad in the vehicle [directing orders lol] - as a child. For certain, I'd have much preferred he ran with me/us.
  • djenah79
    Options
    I think it's awesome. My daughter (now 13) runs track and is on the cross country team (one of the best in the nation) for her school, and her coaches are intense. She trains every day - winter, summer, spring, and fall. In the summer they have a running club and there are lots of boys your sons age doing the runs...and these kids sometimes push 6-9 miles a day in workouts. I think it will be great for the both of you!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think it is great, and he should be more than ok. My kid's school does a 5k and 10k, and a large percentage of the students run it. A fourth grader did the 10k along with his older brother, and had a great time. Of course, your 9 year old should do it at his own pace, but I see no problem. I want to do C25k with my 13 year old.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    My niece has been running with her dad since she was 9 as well. Like you, he will more than likely get into shape and use to the increased intervals as well. I think it's great that your son likes to run with you. I'm jealous. I try and get my boys who are 12 and 14 to work out with me and they don't want to. I even promise to go easy and they still don't want to. Enjoy your father son time. It's fabulous!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    5k is perfectly acceptable distance for kids that age. I FINALLY talked my 11 year old into training for his first 5k this Fall. 12 days later there was a turkey trot that he wanted to do. He's already eager to train for more races this Spring and Summer. I think a km/year of age is just fine until they are closer to adulthood.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bonus: A lot of 5K races have an under 12 category that doesn't have much competition. If you ended up taking him to a race he might end up placing in his age group which I can imagine being pretty darn cool for a 9 year old. Find a fun one with raffles and stuff.

Good for you, man. F'realz.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'veseen plenty of nine year olds beat me at the 5K. If he wants to & is healthy enough, I say go for it! My kids were playing contact sports at that age & survived!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My kids run with me. My 9 year old son is good for a mile and my teenage daughters do 3 each. It's sad but I out run all three on the. Me and my two daughters even did a 5k together last month. There is nothing wrong with him running with you, you are teaching him while he is young. Hopefully it will stick with him.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I think that's great. The only caveat I have is making sure your kid stays hydrated. Its a bigger deal the younger they are so just watch that.

When I was living in a city and running on pavement, my then 5-6 year old would follow me on runs up to 15km on her little razor scooter. I'd carry a backpack with water for her and make sure she drank regularly. She's 7 now and just starting to run with me, mostly intervals right now so she can keep up, and we turn it into a walk when she needs.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is great for both of you. If he hits a growth spurt and starts to have pains in his joints, It's better to not have him "run through the pain". Make sure you ask him if he's just tired or in pain because I would bet that he might not tell you about aches and pains in fear that he won't get to go with you. Otherwise, it would be cool if more parents did similar activities with their kids.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how running could possibly hurt a kid. In fact, I take the position that running is good for kids. Keep it up!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My kids don't follow a program with me. They do go for small runs in the neighborhood. (5, 7, and 12) They're run 5K races with me too. However we run one minute and walk one minute. We also have water with us. My daughter (12) is in cross country so she runs 5 days a week 10-15 miles. She runs faster than me so she has no problems keeping up with me. Her longest run is 4 miles so I only run smaller runs with her. She's hoping to run a half marathon for her 14th birthday at Disney with us. It all depends if she's ready.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    That's great! Just as long as he is eating enough to provide fuel for the runs, you're both good to go! And it's teaching him to be active, plus you guys are getting some quality time together :) Have fun!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This is great for both of you. If he hits a growth spurt and starts to have pains in his joints, It's better to not have him "run through the pain". Make sure you ask him if he's just tired or in pain because I would bet that he might not tell you about aches and pains in fear that he won't get to go with you. Otherwise, it would be cool if more parents did similar activities with their kids.

Good advice here, you can also help protect his joints and bones by having him run on grass rather than concrete. Even if he runs ont he grass verge while you run on the pavement :o)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ask a professional

seriously
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine! If he needs to slow down a litttle you could loop. I used to give my daughter a Pokemon card for every lap arou d the block she did with me when she was in Kindergarten. My situation was different though, I had to work hard to try to keep up with her!