Low Carb Diet question

Options
So I have to admit, I love carbs. At my worst, I can eat a bagel every morning, and pasta for dinner most nights. Not to mention, my soda addiction. If you're trying a low-carb diet, how often do you allow yourself something that you shouldn't normally eat? I want to cut down a lot without going cold turkey on my favorite foods.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    If you know you have a problem with it, limit it as much as you can.

I'm on 1800 a day, I allow myself about 100g-150g carbs a day. If I eat the vegetables I need, that leaves me about one serving of your bread, potatos, or pasta or rice per day. My first priority is Protein, then Fat, and I fill in with Carbs.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I find my 'treat' foods do me the most good in the mid-afternoon. I can make myself be pretty disciplined in the morning, but knowing that you can have your cinnamon toast or baked potato or what have you to get through the "3 o'clock blahs" is a big help for staying positive and focused. Of course, your mileage may vary.
  • AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    Personally I would just try to balance it out. If you have a breakfast that is particularly heavy on the carbs then don't have lots of carbs for dinner. I used to think I needed to eliminate carbs but I love pasta. I lose while eating it but I wouldn't have it for 2 meals a day.

Everything in moderation for me :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Alas, carbs are my nemesis.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If you're going low carbs, make sure to increase the essential fats in your diet as well as getting enough protein. This will prevent carb cravings!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you're going low carbs, make sure to increase the essential fats in your diet as well as getting enough protein. This will prevent carb cravings!

I agree with this poster---but you really must stay away from soda pop. It is not just empty calories (which you cannot afford on a calorie-restricted diet) it is actually harmful. Look up "the ill-effects of high fructose corn syrup" in a search engine. Soda pop is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Of course, consuming table sugar is almost as bad. If you keep your total carbs between 100-200 grams (with the higher amount on your heavy workout days), you can include a bit more fat which will keep you satisfied longer (along with plenty of protein) and you CAN have your pasta (brown rice pasta is better for a number of reasons) on heavy workout days. Eating sugar and simple starches will just spur appetite and cravings.