Drinking Water

Options
We all know drinking enough water is a big part of successful weight loss.I have recently started a Facebook Page to challenge people to drink more water. One of the things I am finding is people have a hard time getting ANY water let alone the 100 ounces of the challenge. I am looking for ideas to help those who struggle find ways to get more water down. I always carry water in my car and to work. I post to the facebook page every day - this encourages me because I don't want to have to post that I did not succeed. What are some tips that help you drink enough water every day that I can share with the people who have accepted the challenge?

Replies

• Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use a "water your body" app on my iPhone, it's customized for your weight and activity level and several other factors. It encourages me to get to 100% everyday.

God bless,
    Karen
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anything but water ( ok I will have a cup of coffee in the am but otherwise water ). I use Mio or pure lemon juice for flavoring. I generally drink 4- 20 oz bottles a day for 80oz total.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    We all know drinking enough water is a big part of successful weight loss

Myth, unless you are filling yourself up with water to stave off hunger. Water doesn't "flush" out fat or any of the other wonderful things people attribute to it. Your body needs fluid to stay hydrated but drinking 100 ounces of water a day is excessive, puts a strain on your kidneys and can flush essential minerals out of your body.
  • shandybrown
    Options

Myth, unless you are filling yourself up with water to stave off hunger. Water doesn't "flush" out fat or any of the other wonderful things people attribute to it. Your body needs fluid to stay hydrated but drinking 100 ounces of water a day is excessive, puts a strain on your kidneys and can flush essential minerals out of your body.

A : My post was asking for sugesstions of ways to help make drinking water easier.
    B: Blanket generalizations seldom apply to real life.
    C: I would love to know your resources for the medical/scientific statements you have made.
  • shandybrown
    Options
    I don't drink anything but water ( ok I will have a cup of coffee in the am but otherwise water ). I use Mio or pure lemon juice for flavoring. I generally drink 4- 20 oz bottles a day for 80oz total.

I didn't think about flavoring the water. That is a great idea. Thanks!
  • shandybrown
    Options
    I use a "water your body" app on my iPhone, it's customized for your weight and activity level and several other factors. It encourages me to get to 100% everyday.

God bless,
    Karen

Using an app is a great idea. One with reminders would be very useful. Thanks!
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I LOVE adding lemon to my water!! I pretty much drink one bottle of lemon water ( I put half a lemon in the first bottle) and after I may have plain water or just a touch of lemon.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I find using water to make my coffee helps me drink more water.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options

A : My post was asking for sugesstions of ways to help make drinking water easier.
    B: Blanket generalizations seldom apply to real life.
    C: I would love to know your resources for the medical/scientific statements you have made.

Actually drinking water does help you lose weight.. you get thirsty several times a day.. as long as you're drinking water... you're not drinking calories that are only gonna make it more difficult to lose weight. :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If people drank no water they'd likely be dead. Eat more fruits and vegetables, there is a ton of water in the recommended nine servings. Have a drink with you at all times, carry a sports bottle and take a glass to bed.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I went and bought a really fun refillable water bottle and was using those crystal light packets for flavor. I would just refill it at work and try new flavors throughout the day. <3'd it! I'm now just drinking plain water though, but I had to start out with those crytal light packets to build the routine.

Hope that hepls!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If people drank no water they'd likely be dead. Eat more fruits and vegetables, there is a ton of water in the recommended nine servings. Have a drink with you at all times, carry a sports bottle and take a glass to bed.

Like I said, you need fluids, not necessarily water. Lots of people never touch a glass of straight water and they are not dead. Water only aids weight loss because you can sometimes fool yourself out of being hungry by guzzling water.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    people are just being lazy. just drink the water.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll only drink flavored water of some kind. I really hate the taste of my tap water, and the filtered, etc doesn't taste any better. Next time I go shopping, I plan to get the lemon and the lime juice to flavor my water instead of the drink mixes. I want to get off the aspartame. I stopped drinking sodas about 10 days ago, now to wean myself off of these.

ETA:
    I'm also getting more water from the fresh fruits I am now eating/drinking (Smoothies/juice with no sugars of any kind added)
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    my dentist has put a blanket on my drinking lemon water because of the acid....now I BARELY drink it
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    my dentist has put a blanket on my drinking lemon water because of the acid....now I BARELY drink it

Mine said the same, although she said with a straw it's okay. This may sound weird, but I love the taste of celery water - just put a pitcher of water in the fridge with a few stalks of celery.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think this water thing is overrated. I drink at least 3 liters of water a day (I love cold tap water) and I am still overweight :D
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    people are just being lazy. just drink the water.

You say lazy, I say informed. From Mayo Clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Quit being a baby, man up, and drink your water. I can't stand grown adults who complain that they hate water. PFTTTTTT
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have reusable sports bottles in 4 different colours. I try to empty all of these each day ( 1 before work, 1 during work, 1 after work, and 1 in the evening). Each bottle is 20 ounces so I aim for 80 ounces a day). The one I crave the most is the one right after my shower, so I make sure to take it upstairs with me and put it in the bathroom for when I hop out.