Can you eat anything you want?

Options

Replies

• DuhhMuffin
    Options
    When I started losing weight I ate whatever I wanted, just with smaller portions so I didn't go over my calorie limit.

I realized that was stupid because I was still hungry at the end of the day, so I started eating healthier so I could actually be FULL and under my calorie limit.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, just getting a handle on intake is a big first step. When they start seeing results, they start getting more into nutrition and fitness and caring more. It definitely worked that way for me initially.

I say let him go for it and learn how to fit his junk food in his calorie budget and let him go from there.

You definitely will not be forcing him to eat anything he doesn't want to eat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes. Also, it doesn't matter all that much whether or not he eats several meals or one or two big meals. He probably isn't doing himself any favors with that extreme of a diet (possible lack of micronutrition) but he will lose weight.

Also, agreed on the below study by Anvilhead. That's an excellent study and great commentary on it by Lyle.
    Fast food and processed food calories are used differently by the body than natural whole food calories. Even though his macros are on target for his goal, the lack of fiber and the high sugar and sodium content of fast food will turn to fat more quickly than if you had made a cheeseburger at home on a whole wheat bun with a side of potatoes.
    This clinical study says otherwise:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

From the summary:
    ...In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read Sidesteel's thread about "IIFYM" (If It Fits Your Macros):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

It's an oft-misunderstood concept and many people like to engage in 'all or nothing' reasoning when debating it. It doesn't mean you can eat ANYTHING you want, as much as you want - it means you can eat foods you enjoy and don't have to engage in unnecessary restriction/elimination of foods or entire food groups as long as you're hitting your calorie and macronutrient goals.

Speaking strictly in terms of weight loss, it truly is calories out > calories in - macro and micronutrients don't matter. You could lose weight eating nothing but twinkies all day long (in fact, that exact thing has been done). If you're going to add in consideration of satiety, general health and body composition, macros and micros do in fact matter very much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Basically what SideSteel and Anvilhead said.

Also, putting it into context - if he is pretty much eating only junk food now, there will really be no negative impact to him eating a bit less of it. People seem to forget that and try to go all out with the healthy eating. Is eating a completely balanced diet better than one that comprises most of 'junk food'? - absolutely. Is eating one that includes junk but a bit more nutrient dense food better than their prior diet? - yes. Progress is progress and encouraging someone to eat a more nutrient dense diet is a good thing whether they are trying to lose weight or not. Also, and this is not the case in your situation as he is not really overweight, losing weight itself leads to better health markers, irrespective of a change in diet (except volume). In my opinion, the best approach is often encouragement and baby steps with the quality of the food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes, he will lose weight. no, he will not be healthy.

False. Her husband eats like i do and I've lost much more than 5-10 lbs. I'm also in great health. McDonald's, Taco Bell, and pizza were the staples of my diet the last 6 months
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Anywhere is a good place to start. If he is a mcds junkie why not try some healthier home burger options ... You an do your own cheeseburgers, Big Macs, fillet of fish, mac chicken ..... Even with oven baked shoe string fries if he likes fries .... Good luck!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i do IIFYM!

<<--- Junk food eater..
    but, i do try and get some good stuff in there sometimes..
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

False. Her husband eats like i do and I've lost much more than 5-10 lbs. I'm also in great health. McDonald's, Taco Bell, and pizza were the staples of my diet the last 6 months

The original post described my dh perfectly. He also is what you would call in great health, but I beg to differ. The damage just isn't showing yet, and anyone who does this will eventually pay the price. I like the idea of slow change, I am hoping to encourage my dh not to count calories, but to eat better. I want him to be an example for our ds .
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    As long as he's in a caloric deficit, he'll lose weight, as far as health is concerned, not so much.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Fatty foods don't make you fat - eating in excess of your TDEE does, and that doen't matter if it was caused by eating burgers or apples.

Also, this, from the Must Read thread...

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Fatty foods don't make you fat - eating in excess of your TDEE does, and that doen't matter if it was caused by eating burgers or apples.

Also, this, from the Must Read thread...

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty

All of this! Ty!
  • DesertDriver
    Options
    I have to say that I still eat mostly what I want but the key to success is two things ...

1. Eat what you want and be happy cutting out all the foods you enjoy could lead to loss of motivation ... but do it in moderation and keep within your target calorie goal

2. Regular Exercise

Just my thoughts ;-)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16 lbs since I started dieting in mid November and my husband is considering reducing his calories as well. The only problem is that he and I eat very differently. I'm by nature a very plain and picky eater who enjoys eating the same things repeatedly. He is a junk food junkie who hates veggies or anything healthy. It's amazing to me that he is only overweight by maybe 5 to 10 lbs. Now, my question is, can you eat ANYTHING you want as long as you stay under your calorie limit?He works during the day and doesn't usually eat anything until 4pm when he has an early dinner. So can he just save his 1,800 cals to eat a big dinner and still lose weight? He is a big McDonalds junkie, so a couple double cheeseburgers is still under his calorie limit so if he ate junk like that every night would he still lose weight just due to being under his limit? I'm hoping he will make healthier choices as he sees changes, but at least he is starting somewhere and it's my job to be supportive of him and not lecture him. In theory, will his plan work for him?

I am not saying this is healthy, but this article (Twinkie Diet) will prove the point that counting calories is all that is required to lose weight. Of course we all know that health means more than just the number on a scale:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Be careful. If he's under his calorie limit then yes he will lose weight, but he may become malnourished. There is a difference between being 'undernourished' and 'malnourished'.

'undernourished' means you haven't had enough food. He won't have that problem. But 'malnourished' means you may get enough food, but you haven't got enough nutrients. There's no way he'll be able to get enough vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin D, B-vitamins, omega 3, etc just from going to McDonalds every day.

He may feel full enough and he may lose weight but he will start to suffer the consequences of not enough nutrients in his diet. He may get very ill.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's an oft-misunderstood concept and many people like to engage in 'all or nothing' reasoning when debating it. It doesn't mean you can eat ANYTHING you want, as much as you want - it means you can eat foods you enjoy and don't have to engage in unnecessary restriction/elimination of foods or entire food groups as long as you're hitting your calorie and macronutrient goals.

Speaking strictly in terms of weight loss, it truly is calories out > calories in - macro and micronutrients don't matter. You could lose weight eating nothing but twinkies all day long (in fact, that exact thing has been done). If you're going to add in consideration of satiety, general health and body composition, macros and micros do in fact matter very much.

This. Why does this debate always have to be so black and white? I'm not going to eat ALL junk food, but I don't think having it sometimes is going to hurt me.

That said I usually don't just because of satiety and because I don't enjoy it like I once did.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Technically speaking yes you will lose weight by having an all junk food but the main question is, how about your arteries, uric acid, blood sugar etc.? Weight loss =/= healthy.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Be careful. If he's under his calorie limit then yes he will lose weight, but he may become malnourished. There is a difference between being 'undernourished' and 'malnourished'.

'undernourished' means you haven't had enough food. He won't have that problem. But 'malnourished' means you may get enough food, but you haven't got enough nutrients. There's no way he'll be able to get enough vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin D, B-vitamins, omega 3, etc just from going to McDonalds every day.

He may feel full enough and he may lose weight but he will start to suffer the consequences of not enough nutrients in his diet. He may get very ill.

Are you saying there is no calcium, iron, protein etc in a McDonald's?

A big mac is about 550 calories, so about a 5th of a mans recommended daily calories, but it would actually provide a quarter of their daily requirements of iron, calcium and protein.

So, they could eat 4 big macs, still be at a deficit, and have met their protein, iron and calcium targets.

To say junk food has no nutritional value is wrong. It has it's place in a balanced diet.

Eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating over your daily calorific needs does.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

The original post described my dh perfectly. He also is what you would call in great health, but I beg to differ. The damage just isn't showing yet, and anyone who does this will eventually pay the price. I like the idea of slow change, I am hoping to encourage my dh not to count calories, but to eat better. I want him to be an example for our ds .

this conversation has devolved from science to religion. i know you're looking better, feeling better, weigh less, and all your tests come out clean, but one day, ONE DAY, you're gonna pay. *shakes fist at the sky*
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost ten pounds eating total garbage.