Starvation mode, how long does it take?

Options
How long of eating below your BMR does it take to slow down your metabolic rate?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Months. Once your body fat gets to near zero your body will start eating muscle tissue and then you will die. More likely you'll just end up malnourished from under eating and feel and look like crap long before you'll need to worry about starvation.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I understand that, does your body fat HAVE to reach 0% in order to enter that point though?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I understand that, does your body fat HAVE to reach 0% in order to enter that point though?

I don't think that's possible and still be living.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    From looking at your profile I'd suggest you get some help rather than figure out how to go into starvation mode. You're drastically under eating.
  • Depending on what your natural metabolism is, how low your intake is, and what you're eating it can vary. For some people it can take months and for others it can be a matter of weeks. Also it's a myth that your body burns your body fat first, a lot of the time you'll actually lose more muscle than fat, especially if you're not getting enough protein in your diet to make up for the muscle damage caused by eating too little.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Are you TRYING to go into starvation mode, or are you trying to AVOID it? If it's the first, you need help. If it's the second, then you need to up your caloric intake. Figure out your TDEE and if you want to lose, you eat below it by 200-400 cals(can someone correct me if I'm wrong?).

We don't encourage starvation or other ED-type behaviors on here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    About 2:00 in the morning if you had an early dinner.:wink:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Months. Once your body fat gets to near zero your body will start eating muscle tissue and then you will die. More likely you'll just end up malnourished from under eating and feel and look like crap long before you'll need to worry about starvation.
    Is that so?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    How long of eating below your BMR does it take to slow down your metabolic rate?

kid... you're already skinny. you're already thin.
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    At a rough guess and having looked at your profile I would suggest you have already entered it. We are not seeing what you are if your profile picture is how you honestly look. As someone old enough to be your grandmother...... Please eat what your body needs and get help.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

at least a couple of hours
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    boy, you skin and bones! if you want to be happy with yourself then... EAT and you'll see some gains and smexyness.