I have no will power at all...

Options
expecially on the weekends. If I see cake I just can't walk away from it. Pizza is my favorite...can't pass it up...Help.

I went way overboard today...seems like I just can't help it. What is wrong with me...?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Willpower isn't something we all of a sudden have because we want it. You have to work really hard at developing the ability to say no. It's not easy, but it can be done.

Make every calorie count, eat good food- protein, good fats, good carbs, fiber, drink your water, eat often, and save some calories for a late night snack. Don't keep anything you can't resist in the house.

Just say no...it really does come down to that, and it's torture at times!
  • sigalat88
    Options
    I get the same way especially with chocolate and cheesecake..you don't have to deprive yourself of all that food....just eat it in moderation....when you don't eat you will over eat it when you do get the chance. That used to happen to me, but now when im craving something that I know I shouldnt eat I will have a very small amount of it just to kick the craving. It seems to help me out a lot..I hope this helps. good luck
  • teri00
    teri00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Keep trying you will soon be able to pass the goodies up, just don't give up. We all have our off days.
  • hollyheckman
    Options
    We all sure do have our off days! Today was horrible for me too...I went way overboard. The weekends are always bad for me as well. I love pizza, and I can never have just one slice. Also, I love baked goods like donuts, muffins, cookies, cakes, etc. I just can't resist them. You are not alone in your struggle for willpower. I too feel like something is wrong with me. When I mess up really bad like I did today, I just tell myself that tomorrow I will work harder. Don't beat yourself up too much. Just keep your goals in mind :)
  • rtrautmann
    Options
    Trying to find an allowance is really tough.
    I have my brother hide all the goodies we have in the house so I can eat them - out of sight out of mind.
    I also found this to be pretty helpful, when I was on weight watchers: 3 bite rule. Have 3 bites of whatever you're craving and you'll feel better. In that same way, there's always the option to get a smaller piece. It's all about thinking consciously, and it's really really hard to start.

Good luck (:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sure you do!! You just have to develop the habit of using your will power on food choices. For example, I bet you don't pick up that cute wallet you cannot afford and put it into your pocket, because you have the WILL POWER to do the right thing and not steal. I bet you do not drive drunk because you have the WILL POWER to not jeopardize lives. I bet you finish your daily work because you have the WILL POWER to do so, so that you get a paycheck. [These are just made up examples, but you get the idea.]

Yes, you do have WILL POWER, but you just need to work on applying it to your food choices. Good luck, you can do it!!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Sure you do!! You just have to develop the habit of using your will power on food choices. For example, I bet you don't pick up that cute wallet you cannot afford and put it into your pocket, because you have the WILL POWER to do the right thing and not steal. I bet you do not drive drunk because you have the WILL POWER to not jeopardize lives. I bet you finish your daily work because you have the WILL POWER to do so, so that you get a paycheck. [These are just made up examples, but you get the idea.]

Yes, you do have WILL POWER, but you just need to work on applying it to your food choices. Good luck, you can do it!!

I do not consider myself to have much "will power" myself, but I have stopped looking at it this way. 2 weeks ago I gave up my terrible excessive coffee habit, really was an addiction and was quite difficult. I failed many times , trying to use "will power". But, as deedee pointed out , there's soo many things we don't do in our daily lives, simple because it is not an option, like stealing, or quitting our jobs on a whim because it gets hard.

There are allll kinds of temptations we face everyday that we do not follow through on because they simply are wrong.

I just looked at it as it just isn't an option. If i tried to quit my habit with an inner battle with my will, well, it's just never worked before. I just faced it as there is no debate, not really a choice, it simply is off limits. I too don't believe completely depriving yourself is the way to go , I think it is great if you can have a taste of something, you certainly should. But if you cannot stop there.. I know myself enough to know though, that (in my case the sugared coffee) it's going to be all or nothing, so I had to tell myself, it just isn't optional. No debate, no force of will, just no. Just like I wouldn't steal a co-workers purse just because the opportunity is there.

Helps to keep in mind the reward as well. Eyes on the prize!
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    We all have willpower, and just like a few or the MFP'er's mentioned it's about tapping into the willpower you have and make it work for you, regarding healthier eating. There are going to be tough days, but that's OK, it's all a part of your journey ! As long as you continue to hold yourself accountable for those days, log your foods (bad choices and all) and get back on the bandwagon.

I find that because I log my foods into the food diary, it somehow holds me accountable. It doesn't mean that I will not have another slice of cake in life, because I will, an I will account for it in my diary, maybe work out a bit more that day of something to balance out the day, and if not there is always tomorrow! :flowerforyou: Keep your head up..YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Cheers to your successes! :drinker:
  • learning2bfit
    learning2bfit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really didn't look at the bigger picture, the other temptations in life. You all have opened my eyes to see the bigger picture.

Thank you so much for your responses!