MAC uses female bodybuilder in commercial makeup ad

Options
PLEASE NO "EWW GROSS SHE LOOKS LIKE A MAN" COMMENTS. If you can't express your opinion on this topic with without infantile name-calling, please do not reply.

http://jezebel.com/5973202/mac-put-a-female-bodybuilder-in-a-makeup-ad-and-its-beautiful

The ad features Serbian-American bodybuilder and fitness model Jelena Abbou.

medium.jpg

Personally, I think it's fantastic to see the commercialized acceptance of women who have worked very hard to accomplish such incredible physiques. It may not be everyone's ideal, but neither is the more common "model" figure that is featured on nearly every single magazine cover.

If we can begin to embrace women larger than a size 10 in ads and magazines, why can't we start embracing strong, fit, muscular women?

Discuss.

P.S. This is what Jelena looks like in the off season:

Jelena-Abbou22.jpg

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I bring nothing more to the discussion table than this:

HOT.

EDIT: just realized my comment isn't acceptable under the terms of the OP. :)
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just sayin...MAC rocks. They used a 90 year old woman recently too. Celebrating all types of beauty. I think its great.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Love! She is feminine and strong and beautiful!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know about her dress. :wink:

But really, it's an awesome ad. Good for them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wow love it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As you said, it may not be everyone's ideal, but neither is what is currently gracing the covers of most fashion magazines. I think it's great.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    What a cool pic. I love the iridescent coloring they did on her skin. Really makes the muscles even more beautiful. I personally would love to look like that!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    What a cool pic. I love the iridescent coloring they did on her skin. Really makes the muscles even more beautiful. I personally would love to look like that!

I agree on both points.

I love that they didn't downplay her musculature. In fact, they did the exact opposite.
    I don't know about her dress. :wink:

But really, it's an awesome ad. Good for them.

LOL on the dress. I like it! I'm pretty sure they corseted her midsection to bring more attention to her upper body too.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't like the dress....it's not the fit I don't like...it's the shiny glossy texture actually....

but she is gorgeous...and owning it...

fantastic ad.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I don't like the dress....it's not the fit I don't like...it's the shiny glossy texture actually....

fantastic ad.

Yeah, that's my problem with it, and the ruffle.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

fantastic ad.

Look like rubber lol
  • VelociMama
    Options

fantastic ad.

Look like rubber lol

I think the dress works extremely well for the photograph though. It compliments her skin with similar texture and carries the light well throughout the frame. I wouldn't wear it though :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

fantastic ad.

Look like rubber lol

I think the dress works extremely well for the photograph though. It compliments her skin with similar texture and carries the light well throughout the frame. I wouldn't wear it though :)

Don't mind me. I'm just being a pain in the *kitten*.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    She looks gorgeous! I kind of like the dress...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

fantastic ad.

Look like rubber lol

Actually as we've discussed on my wall, I DO agree with you on that. The dress works well with the picture...the gloss compliments her skin and if anything accentuates her form, musculature etc.

so for all intents and purposes....it works...

why is it that when we see an ad for something we automatically assess if "WE" would wear it instead of approaching it from a purely aesthetic beauty standpoint?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    why is it that when we see an ad for something we automatically assess if "WE" would wear it instead of approaching it from a purely aesthetic beauty standpoint?

Because ads are designed to make us WANT to buy a product, and when we see an advertisement, that's the mentality we go to when viewing it. Likewise, you wouldn't look at a Monet painting as an ad for art canvas.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    I think its great, girls need to see that its ok to be strong, and that it doesn't make them any less beautiful. In fact in my mind she is more beautiful because of her strength and her confidence.
  • kathrynokc
    Options
    She looks amazing in both photos.