Wyoming people skinny, but Atlanta is obese

Options
BroiledNotFried
BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
I went on vacation over the holidays. In Jackson Hole, Wyoming I never saw one "super fat" person the whole week I was there. A few had some meat on their bones, but most were normal to average. The locals seemed fit and trim. But, in Atlanta, it was the opposite. Not many healthy weight people.

Is it the altitude? Is it the food? Is it economic status?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I dont see many "super fat" people skiing either
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wyoming water for weight loss

Dr. Oz will be selling it soon
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    im in metro ATL

sooo many restaurants and GREAT food

southern hospitality and comfort food has a bit to do with it here i think
    obesity is crazy here but i think it has a lot to do with the culture in the south
  • terrygran
    Options
    I think your sample size is too small and nonrandom.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.

oh yes! waffle house on every corner lol
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    We southerners like to cook with FAT!! Bacon fat, butter, you name it!! The greasier the better!! I have always cooked ALL veggies with bacon fat... That was hard to change.... and EVERYTHING is fried!! Texas State fair the past couple years has even had fried butter!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the deep south, and whenever I go back home, it's shocking how many people I see who are obese or morbidly obese.

Unfortunately, most of the southern states have rates of obesity far higher than the rest of the country. The midwest is bad also.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I once got arrested in a Waffle House :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wyoming water for weight loss

Dr. Oz will be selling it soon

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Go to Colorado ...they're all hot and in awesome shape there also! Environment!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I dont see many "super fat" people skiing either

Lol then I guess you missed me tumbling down the hill in Minnesota a few weeks ago.
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options

I once got arrested in a Waffle House :)
    Story time!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm in boston and there's a lot of fit people here, but when I go to Denver I see that people are noticeably more fit/trim and you really don't see any obese people unless they're tourists. I think certain parts of the country are more healthy than others. Some of it is culture, some of it is way of life and some of it is definitely socioeconomic status.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options

agree
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

agree

The statistics are also, unfortunately, in the OP's opinion's favor:

brfss-self-reported-obesity-2011.gif

^ can't figure out to resize, so right click to see full image. Image from: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2012/08/16/most-and-least-obese-us-states

Note that all but 3 of those states are in the southeast.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I definitely notice a difference between Denver and the South. I do think it's cultural. We have so many activities here. If you don't ski, board, hike, bike, climb, etc, chances are that some of your friends do and will get you into.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Omg. There are studies that people and animals lose more weight at altitude. There is an effect on the lepton production on the brain. I just found it. I mean the wyoming locals are twigs that I saw.

I used to live and work in Atlanta. It has changed, and I mean bigger. The city, the waists, it was a shock. My host took me to a favorite rest,arrant. It was chicken wings, fried, and beer. It rained like crazy, and we stayed inside the house a lot. I did get out for a hike at a local mountain, but it was at my insistence.
  • maegan0205
    Options
    We southerners like to cook with FAT!! Bacon fat, butter, you name it!! The greasier the better!! I have always cooked ALL veggies with bacon fat... That was hard to change.... and EVERYTHING is fried!! Texas State fair the past couple years has even had fried butter!!!

Agreed... comfort food, soul food, whatever you want to call it regardless it involves cooking with FAT! And I think that has a lot to do with it. And definitely socioeconomic status as well.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found is here in the west people are a lot more inclined to get out and exercise. They would rather walk to get the where they are going than to drive. They eat a bit healthier (you should see the produce sections in these stores!) and the scenery and higher altitude makes you want to be outside. Thats how it is for me. I cant wait for spring because Im going to be going crazy all over the place. lol.

However, at 5 degrees without the windchill.... :noway:

ETA- At least thats how it is in Montana!