Does anyone else feel silly working out in front of people?

Options
2»

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I do martial arts with my daughters, so I don't feel quite so weird as long as they are with me. Going to the gym, I go alone so I haven't been brave enough to do the weights because I'm super self conscious about that, but I don't mind doing the treadmill at the gym.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes I use to make everyone leave the area now the know avoid the basement when I'm working out .
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Actually, I feel bothered working out in the presence of all these silly people....not really.
    Most folks who've been at it a while are into doing their own thing.
    They're not worried about us.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    if i was doing a video i don't like people watching. i dont feel so awakward at the gym cause everyone eles is working out as well but still i don't like being watched so if it is really busy i'd pass. walking the dog is my fav exercise so normal and no one knows i'm using it as my exercise. lol. i am starting to jog again with the dog (just had a baby 2 months ago so didn't jog during pregnancy) and i don't like jogging where people can see me. luckily it's winter so not many people at the park right now..
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have always felt uncomfortable with people watching me workout to videos... my kids used to think it was funny so I told them they have to join in if they want to be in the same room while I workout...lol, they magically found something more interesting to do.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live by myself and was so self conscious I bought a tv and set up a home exercise area in the basement so people can't see me through my front window.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ooo. Me!

I feel goofy working out in front of my husband. It used to bug me when the kids would venture in to see me workout but now I am comfortable with them joining me. I just have to figure out how to get used to hubby coming in. I used to work out on the days he worked. However, I have gone from 3 or 4 days of working out to 6 days since I started TurboFire. So I work out when he is around now. My new year resolution is to get comfortable with him being in the same room while I work out.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't feel weird at all. More often than not when people see me exercise they look as if they didn't realize what I could do. Running, classes at the y, or 30ds videos at home.
    When I jog on the track at the y I think some people can't help staring, but not in a mean way. More like they are impressed I dont stop to walk after 1 lap. But I just continue on, do my 3 miles and focus on me.
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I first started to a few years ago I felt absolutely ridiculous and silly, but after a few times I just didn't care anymore. I'm doing this for myself and I find that I really want to do everything 10 times harder and more precise just so they don't critisize me.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I usually kick everyone out of the room. My daughter still likes to come in and cheer me on though...which is sweet.
  • mrsricta
    Options
    YES!!!! At the gym it's not as bad, because everyone is there TO workout (well, okay, ALMOST everyone) but at home it's totally different. It's really awkward to have someone just sitting around in the same room while I am trying to workout!
  • mrsricta
    Options
    I judge everyone while they work out. Who knows, I could be in your gym judging you. ;)

HAHA! So that was YOU huh?! ;)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I use to feel awkward with my hubby or kids watching, but I got over it. Kids will join in now and I don't mind. The hubby and I have ran together for years, but I felt more aware of him watching when we were at home doing dvds. When we did Insanity together in the fall I recieved a remark with every squat, bend forward, and jump. Usually would start laughing, but it helped me get use to him being present when everything was jiggling around. Now he comes in and watches me do TurboFire and it doesn't bother me. Pretty use to him saying "hmm mmm" while I'm working out.lol.