Biotin

Options
Does anyone have any knowledge or currently take Biotin in conjunction with their fitness goals?

I always keep a bottle of Biotin around. I haven't taken it recently but noticed it stated "Promotes the metabolization of carbs, fat and protein". Through google, I noticed a few people said that Biotin actually increased their weight but I question their opinions as I don't have access to their diet or activity info.

I eat clean, workout every day, drink plenty of fluids and was wondering if taking atleast 1000mcg of Biotin everyday will help with my fat loss efforts (in addition to giving me the extra B vitamins I need as recommended by my physician).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it for weight loss but it does make my skin/hair/nails super healthy! Gotta be careful not to take too much though because that can be a bad thing as well. I don't think I gained any weight while taking it either (I was still losing at a normal rate and didn't notice a difference in that area.)
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't notice any diff good or bad in my weight loss, I take it for hair loss....
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it helping with weightloss. Whenever I take it, it's to help with my sad thinning hair. :(
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, I took it to keep my hair healthy but didn't notice anything else except my skin was a little brighter. It doesn't matter if you take a little more than the daily recommended or not (600-800?) because you will just pee the extra out.
  • iamtahicha
    iamtahicha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have recently started taking this for my hair as well. My hair is sad, breaking, and thining by the day. Has anyone had results with this vitiamin?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have recently started taking this for my hair as well. My hair is sad, breaking, and thining by the day. Has anyone had results with this vitiamin?

I did when I had some post partum hair loss after having my son. It can take a while to start working though since your hair growth goes through cycles.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I started taking in May to help with hair loss after finding out I was anemic. I have successfully lost weight using it, but I don't think it has affected my weight loss one way or another. I have never heard of someone taking it for weight loss purposes.
    have recently started taking this for my hair as well. My hair is sad, breaking, and thining by the day. Has anyone had results with this vitiamin?

They say it takes about 4 months to notice a difference. I honestly don't know if it has made a drastic difference if any, but I am not willing to stop and see either lol
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Unless its making you ill, gain weight, its always worth a shot. I only know of Biotin to be used for hair thinning/loss and growth. I do have friends that advocate profusely about Biotin for hair growth (which is why I bought a bottle in the first place) but they did say it can take months to see a difference.

I am just wondering how Biotin metabolizes carbs, fat and protein and what that can do to aid one's exercise efforts. Can't seem to find a thing about it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I, too, use it for nails and hair....no other reason. Don't know if it has another other advantages.
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I didn't personally notice any difference after I took it for six months, but when I went back to my hairdresser who recommended it she showed me the new growth near my scalp and how much thicker it was. Like any vitamin, I have trouble remembering to take it every day, so I can't track consistent progress since then.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it helping weightloss or anything, but it did wonders for my skin! :)