Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• PHF58
    PHF58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree that how you lose the weight is less the issue because you definitely need to change your attitudes about eating and food. Optifast has given me a break from the food and now I am slowly transitioning back after 6 weeks of 5 liquid shakes and 1 bar/day. I feel much, much lighter and motivated to exercise and to use MFP...I wasn't willing to really look at my eating before I started loosing weight thru Optifast, it was an extreme measure for me but I had been so stuck. So I stopped thinking abt food for a bit and got some results, drank LOTS of water to ensure my body's flushing properties were all working and have actually noticed the benefit of being hydrated. Drank coffee and diet soda before so hurray for the cleanse!
    I like the MFP calorie counter and exercise logs and I find them very helpful in sticking to my plan.....
    I also bought this workbook by J. Beck, abot Training your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person - love it, but it's abt seriously taking yourself on...so it's hard too.
  • CalMom60
    CalMom60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started on Optifast through Kaiser on Feb 26. 3 weeks in I was down 18 lbs. The required weekly two hour group session is critical to learning how we have abused food and how to relearn healthy habits. I am on full fast with 5 shakes a day for 20 weeks then a maintenance program that will gradually reintroduce healthy foods and support new healthy habits. I feel very good!
  • chikapika
    chikapika Posts: 1
    Options
    Day 3 of optifast 5x daily powder shakes. Lost 5 pounds so far :D
  • red1259
    red1259 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi all, started optifast two weeks ago and am down nine lbs. I start out great, but find myself depressed over how long it will take to get off the 75 I want to lose. Words of motivation, please!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    wow just saw there were a few rather negative comments to my post. not sure what attracted the nay-sayers here, but what i am actually looking for are positive and happy people who are on this same journey. like minded people if you will. support and encouragement are vital and if there are any optifast users out there who would like to be pals on here send me a request, i would love to share support with you =)

If you post something..you'll get all kinds of responses not just the feel goods. And some of those will be truths you don't want to hear.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Can't emphasize it more....................there are lots of weight loss shakes and eating plans, but unfortunately they all work the same way................calorie deficit (with some at LARGE calorie deficits).
    If you don't intend to eat with Optifast the rest of you life, the chances of weight regain is usually going to happen.

I encourage you to save you money and utilize MFP's calorie counting system and learn how to change the way you eat for a LIFESTYLE change and not just a temporary change because of a large calorie deficit.

Doing this for more than 28 years, you can trust that I've seen practically every diet plan out there and know that statistically only about 10% of all users maintain after the diet plan. The other 90% regain weight back because they return to actually eating whole food again.

I have done a medically supervised Optifast type program TWICE in my life. I wish I would have learned my lesson from the first go-round. It was a waste of time and money. It is amazing while you are doing it - the weight drops like crazy and you feel like a million. I had classes and workshops weekly on nutrition, and how to eat when you go back into eating solid foods. The minute you start putting solid food back into your mouth, the weight starts coming back. In the program I was in they even told us to expect it. It does not give you the real world experience you need to lose and keep it off. I really wish I didn't waste the time and money. I am only sharing my own experiences, I do wish everyone who is doing it luck, but I am sticking with MFP and changing some eating habits because clearly it works.

7396232.png
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi all, started optifast two weeks ago and am down nine lbs. I start out great, but find myself depressed over how long it will take to get off the 75 I want to lose. Words of motivation, please!

4.5 lbs a week is a good start, the rate will drop off but I guess you're going to do this for 6, 8 12 weeks before transitioning towards more normal foods ??

In general anyone looking to lose 75 lbs is probably facing a year or more of effort. It takes time to add fat and time to lose it.
  • red1259
    Options
    Yarwell, yes thinking about doing for about twelve weeks, then transitioning to real food. I had done a similar program in my 20s and lost about 110 lbs on it, so I know it takes awhile. When I did that, I kept the weight off for 15 plus years. Now that hit menopause, need a jump start to get back on track. Making the lifestyle changes needed as well. I just forgot how long it takes to lose, especially once you hit a certain age! Lol
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @red1259, the success of the program is to make sure you see it is "one day at a time". Every 75 pounds lost is made up of losing 1 pound 75 times. The key to being successful on the diet is to not expect to lose 75 pounds in one week but losing it by making it the right choices over a sustained period of time. The program will work scientifically if you follow the diet and exercise plan. It is worth the investment and can change your life forever. I lost 112 pounds since September on Optifast and I am now in the maintain phase and it continues to help me control my appetite and know my behaviors with food.

Please note that I am an employee of Nestle, makers of Optifast. My opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    " The key to being successful on the diet is to not expect to lose 75 pounds in one week "

Thank you....................why bother posting?
  • backinaction
    backinaction Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My comment is purely something that helped me. I made sure in my mind I kept my expectations realistic and making myself remember 75 pounds is made up of 1lb X 75.

Your post thanking me and questioning my comment seems more of a useless post.
  • red1259
    Options
    I agree back in action. I made it one month with only being on the shakes. I got so depressed. Lost weight fast am down about 15 lbs. talked to my dr and I went on the modified program and am now losing a couple lbs a week instead of three or four, but I feel I can do this for the long run. Focused more now on the exercise and how much better I feel. Even went out to dinner and had nice tilapia with veggies. Focused on making this a life style change instead of a diet!
  • cblkel
    cblkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Optifast for 10 months and lost 65 pounds so far. I want to lose another 10 to reach my goal. I am in the transition stage right now. It is harder than you think, but with the help of the staff and my friends on here I am sure I can do it. You get so used to doing just there products (which I thought was great, I did not have to think about what I was going to eat), and now I have to think again about what I will be eating. I don't like to cook, so I am one of those that eat out often. That makes the transition a little harder, but I know I can do it. Glad I found this blog. Thanks for all the encouraging words from everybody.
  • mvdermk
    mvdermk Posts: 1
    Options
    I just picked up my weekly supply of Optifast. My start date is 7/21/13. I know this is going to be difficult but not impossible. I'm hoping to find a few friends to support me on my adventure to being healthier!
  • harisv
    harisv Posts: 15
    Options
    I just picked up my weekly supply of Optifast. My start date is 7/21/13. I know this is going to be difficult but not impossible. I'm hoping to find a few friends to support me on my adventure to being healthier!

I just started my Optifast diet on 7/14/13. So far I feel great. Good luck with yours!
  • khadeejah1
    khadeejah1 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of optifast and not feeling too bad, the first 3 days though, I wanted to go medieval times on a roasted chicken I was so hungry! I'm finding that making the chocolate optifast with lots of water and ice makes it taste more like frozen hot chocolate, also the vanilla is really good with add ins, usually in the morning I'll add a teaspoon or so of coffee granules, fibre and starbucks sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup which actually makes me look forward to it, it tastes like a starbucks drink :) I'll see how this goes, as of today I'm feeling like I can manage doing this :)
  • lil_monkey21
    Options
    Hey just thought I would commetn, im starting within the next week or to. Ordered my shakes online last night (so much cheaper then in store) so once they turn up I will start.
    Only going to replace breakfast and lunch with shakes and have weight watcher jelly and their instant puddings for cravings with some fruit.
    I have heard many good results from people doing it.
    Feel free to add me
  • mcdermka
    mcdermka Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First day on Optifast and I am so hungry! I am having trouble drinking all the water. Does it taker time to work up to drinking that much?
  • coopermel
    coopermel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, there. I have been on and off optifast for about 6 months now and i have lost 20kgs! I am not going to lie to you its hard! once you get the swing of things though it does ease up a bit! keep your self busy is all i can say. I spend quite a bit of time at the gym so i can have 2 eggs per day also. The water thing is hard to start i had to pee all the time, i try and drink the 2L but some days i don't quite get there!