Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I am going to purchase a heart rate monitor but I am not sure which to get. I looked into a fit bit, but that seems more like a pedometer, then my friend suggested getting a hrm with the chest strap because it is more accurate, but then I see a lot of hrm that are just the watch style without a chest strap. What brands or styles are the most accurate? I will be using it to measure the calories burned in my workouts, not something I will be wearing all day.

Thanks!

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing. Anyone love the one they have?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7. It comes with a chest strap. It is really easy to use. I only use it for my workouts to see how many calories I burned. I love it.
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just got one for christmas and the brand is called smarthealth. it is a watch style heart rate monitor and it tracks steps, calories, and distance as well. seems to work pretty good and is accurate when i have compared the calories burned on other websites. i wear it only when i work out, but i suppose you could wear it all day.
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7. It comes with a chest strap. It is really easy to use. I only use it for my workouts to see how many calories I burned. I love it.

I believe this is the one my friend has and she loves it, so I am leaning towards this one.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to know about any HRM's that are good but not hugely expensive
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    +1
  • sanvanhaaften
    Options
    I love my polar ft 60
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    I have a Scosche Rhythm HRM its Bluetooth it works with an iPhone or android, it has an arm band, I didn't like the chest strap. I upload the data to Digifit , Scosche also has a web site. I've had it about a month and like it a lot.
  • simplythefreakingbest
    Options
    I got a karrimor ladies heart rate monitor it's rubbish doesn't pick up my heart beat at all from the chest strap so I really just have a stopwatch........... looking at the polar ft4 ?? simple and basic for me to use?? :) xx
  • Staceyp76
    Staceyp76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just got the polar ft4 and love it. It is simple to use and works great. I also have a fit bit I wear it all the time to seesaw much walk durning the day plus some days it gives me more calories burned which is great to see :).
  • melissann23
    melissann23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit & wear it every day to encourage me to hit the goals i set for myself (steps/day, stairs, distance) and i have a polar ft4 for my workouts. love both of them for different reason & uses.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    my polar ft4 is with me every single time i work out. had it for a few months now. easy to use, comfortable to wear, easy to read, about 60 bucks. looked in to the ft7, but seemed to do more than i needed. determine what you want it to do, compare some brands and make an educated choice.

good luck.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For exercise, it's hard to beat the FT-4 for simplicity, inclusion of the things you'll end up using and price. Ebay has them now for $60.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, it has the chest strap and I love it!! :D
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin. It's a GPS AND heart rate monitor. If you enjoy running or cycling consider something like this.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT4 but upgraded it to the FT7 recently.

There was nothing wrong with the FT4, in fact, it was fantastic but my needs changed and the FT7 suited them better.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my polar ft4 is with me every single time i work out. had it for a few months now. easy to use, comfortable to wear, easy to read, about 60 bucks. looked in to the ft7, but seemed to do more than i needed. determine what you want it to do, compare some brands and make an educated choice.

good luck.

same :)
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT4 but upgraded it to the FT7 recently.

There was nothing wrong with the FT4, in fact, it was fantastic but my needs changed and the FT7 suited them better.

I'm curious, what do you use on your FT7 that makes it an upgrade for you?
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Definetly go with the chest strap. I 1st tried with out and the readings were way off. After a Turbo Jam workout wit just the watch, It said I burned 97 calories. With the strap, 587 calories for the 40 min workout. Worth the investment if you are a person who needs accuracy. I bought the Timex Iron Man for women set. Love it !! Hope this helps!
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    love my Polar F4