Headaches from cutting out caffiene

Options
eresin
eresin Posts: 104 Member
Hey all,
I am trying to cut caffeine out of my diet, mainly to help me sleep better but also I drink a lot of fizzy drinks so it's also a way for me to cut down sugar.

I love a good cup of tea so i've switched to decaf teabags so that i can still have my "comfort" cuppa. I think there is nothing quite like curling up on the sofa with a cuppa :)

Anyway my sleep has been better I've been drinking a lot more water as a result but I'm getting terrible headaches. I've only been at this a week or two and was hoping they would have passed by now. I'm not taking any painkillers because I notice the likes of Anadin Extra (which i normally have) has caffeine in it too.

I tend to get them around 2pm in the day when normally I would have had 3-4 cups of tea by then and probably a can on cola too, so you can see how much I am cutting out.

I'm just not sure how to cope this these headaches, i hope they won't last much longer.

Replies

• dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try one cup of regular tea and see what happens. I try not to drink too much caffeine as well, but if I was back on a lot of coffee I need to reduce slowly...
    Or if you're allowed (sugar-/cal-/gi-wise) a glass of fresh orange- or grapefruitjuice might help too.
    Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Take some over the counter painkillers.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did the physicals two years ago and was told I am on the good side of the border of having High Blood Pressure. One of the things i decided to do at that time was cut down but not out the amount of coffee I drink. I drink my morning coffee as usual but come 3pm I no longer drink anything with caffein in it. No headaches and I sleep real good, better then before.

When I was drinking caffein coffee all day, I used to be able to tell immediately when somebody tried to trick me and slip me de-caff. I would get headaches.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I recently gave up all caffeine except small amounts in chocolate, because I have developed a caffeine hypersensitivity which has worsened in the last couple of years. When I cut out the caffeine I got midday headaches which were very like tension headaches. They lasted about 2 weeks or so, but at the time I quit I was only drinking about 1-2 cups of tea a day and no coffee. You might have them a little longer or else your headaches may just be a little more intense than mine were. They will subside though
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been there and feel your pain. The headaches will subside. I also found myself terribly tired all the time at the beginning, yawning like crazy. But improved diet, fresh fruits and veggies will turn that around. It's worth it in the end.