Having trouble quitting Regular Soda

Options
13»

Replies

• thathockeychick23
    Options
    Cut back slowly to allow your body to adjust to not having as much and eventually any. If you're 5 cans or so a day, cut back to 4, then 3, and so on. Also, try keeping the soda further away from you. You're more likely to grab it and drink it when it's sitting right next to it. If you put it somewhere where you have to continually get up, you're more likely to not drink as much.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey. Decided well over a year ago if I was going to lose weight the Pepsi addiction had to go. I am a water & tea drinker now.
  • Telecide
    Telecide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to down 8 to 10 Mountain Dews a day. Basically couldn't start the day with a Dew and a cigarette. Quitting soda is a lot easier than cigarettes. You have fairly intense withdrawal symptoms for a few days, but then they're gone. I know water probably seems unacceptable to your palette now, but try it for a few days. Once you get used to the feeling of actually being hydrated your body will adjust its tastes towards what it needs. And that one little change by itself will probably amount to a 2 lb a week calorie deficit.

Once you're used to normal beverages, a diet soda will seem plenty sweet. My fav is coke zero.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This may not be a popular post but...
    I am a true soda addict I love the pure sugar/corn syrup. I have to go cold turkey. I luckily have gotten used to diet sodas but my heart belongs to regular pepsi.

Anyways, I started this weight loss program with the intention of only drinking soda for lunch and fitting it into my calorie goals. I figured as long as I was going to crave it why deny it.A 32oz has 500 calories or one lunch. Silly diet I know but I was trying to beat the craving. I got away from that even though I was losing weight because overall it wasnt what I wanted for my body. I started drinking a lot more water, doing the MIO (I dont do that as much anymore), or any other sweet no sugar flavoring to get over the sugar craving. A couple options diet wise that I find almost mimic the real thing are coke zero, pepsi max, diet dr pepper, dr pepper 10, A&W diet cream soda. Buy some of those sugar free coffee syrups and add that to carbonated water.

The way I see it is you can do three things.
    1. Incorporate it into your diet. Allow the calories for that day. Try to reduce the amount you drink if it doesnt fit in your day. Dont buy a whole litre buy cans to make it easier to measure.
    2. If it wont set you back and bring back your addiction have a soda binge day once a week or less.
    3. Go cold turkey

Anyone who tells you that you can't have soda is wrong (provided you arent diabetic) and the world wont end, but you have to figure out what is improtant to you. What gives your body health and strength and what helps you lose weight.

Keep moving foward finding what works for you.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to drink pop all the time, I quit and now I don't crave it. sure, I will have one if i go out and eat at a restaurant or something, I haven't banned it forever, but, I usually just get water and I'm fine with that.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Update: It's been one week since I quit regular soda. The cravings are killing me at times but I am determined to break this addiction. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice on how to stop :)