Can you make protein shakes with hot water?

Options
I sometimes like to drink the Options Hot White Chocolate drink and wondered if I could mix that with my protein powder.

Would hot water do anything bad to the protein powder?

Might taste absolutely awful but the Options drink is gorgeous! x

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I never drink protein shakes, I just throw a scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal. The hot water hasn't seemed to cause any problems so I think you're good.
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the protein, because some proteins break down over 140 degrees. I drink UNJURY protein, and their powder can be added to hot water under 140 degrees.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i know the herbalife club next to my apartment complex offers some of their shakes in hot form. i would think it would work. maybe try adding some hot milk to it, though?
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Hmmm.....chocolate-flavored protein powder mixed in milk, heated. I think that I need to try that! Now that it's winter, I don't want to drink cold drinks, even after a hefty workout. I get chilled very quickly as soon as I stop exercising.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My understanding is you're not supposed to do that with whey. I used to do sometimes anyhow as it tastes good and it's an alternative to sugary sweet drinks-even if I'm not getting ALL the benefits of the protein.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've actually researched this several times and keep getting different answers. You might contact the makers of your supplement and ask them
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Might have to try it - just don't want to negate the protein as that is the whole point of drinking it.

Not tried with milk but it says on the container to mix with water - no mention of milk! x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Protein can denature with heat. I guess it will depend on how hot the water is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition