Running Shoes

Options
I know shoes are personal, but what are some good choices for heavier men whose feet hurt?

Replies

• jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    try looking into barefoot/minimalistic running shoes...5 fingers and new balance minimus...be forewarned you have to learn a new way to run...but much healthier and better for you
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. That's the best way to find the right shoes for you.

And depending on how your feet hurt, you may want to stay away from the minimalist shoes. I have arch issues and if I wore minimalist shoes my arches would probably collapse. I have to have arch support when I run- I buy inserts for my shoes for arch support.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I love my 5 fingers
    vibram_bikila_red.jpg
  • japhilli3
    japhilli3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Someone else already mentioned this, but I totally agree that you should go to a running store. They watch you walk and run (LOL...yes, you feel like a rodent in a cage being studied!) but they find the perfecct shoe for you. There are so many different kind of feet and ways to walk and there are shoes to match everyone! I had knee problems when I first atarted running; I got fitted and the knee pain went away instantly!
  • aliparry
    aliparry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the running shop..investing in a proper pair of shoes protects against injury.. the only bit of kit that you really need to run so you may as well invest in it :)
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You need to know your gait. A running store will help you with this if you don't already know it. You probably want to go with a better cushioned shoe since you mentioned you're heavier. I understand the minimalist shoe thing and have a pair. They're not a good primary shoe for a heavier person though. You have to start with lower mileage and build your muscles to run in them which may impact how much cardio you can accomplish towards your weight loss goals. Also, being heavier means you have more pounding on your joints. Less cushioning means more pounding being felt by your body which you'll probably feel sooner or later in your knees. When you get your weight down and get more proficient at running you may want to pick up a set of 5 finger Vibrams. Shoe suggestions? Look at Asics Gel Nimbus, Brooks Ghost, and then there's plenty of others out there that are great, those are two I've been in and found wonderful. Plan on the $100 price range. The Asics I mentioned are a little more than that but good shoes are worth it. A good running store will have a trial period they allow you to return them in. You don't know how well a shoe works for you until you get to run in them.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I disagree with the cushioning proposed above. Overly cushioning your feet, will cause you to transfer forces to your joints. The sensitivity of your feet, and the feedback provided facilitates good form and will protect your knee joints etc. If you are heavier, it just makes it more important to take care that you are moving as lightly and easily as you can, without forcing. Go barefoot/minimal should help to give you the focus and discipline to 'go easy'; overly cushioning your feet (Which would otherwise strengthen and toughen fast if you take care to ease into your running), will encourage you to push too hard, and stress your joints.

I think with your greater weight, you should take care to go slow, and build up. Start light. Your early workouts should be walking, for longer and longer (in shoes without excessive cushioning). Then when you have built up to a nice steady slow walk, you introduce short 30 second jogs, focus being on maintainig light easy steps. then you can increase the time of each jog, and how often you sprinkle them into your walk. change the ratio of jogging to walking slowly in favour of jogging, over a period of many weeks. Your body will adapt to progressively greater challenges, but don't be tempted to rush. Forcing it or getting impatient can lead to injury.
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the cushioning proposed above. Overly cushioning your feet, will cause you to transfer forces to your joints. The sensitivity of your feet, and the feedback provided facilitates good form and will protect your knee joints etc. If you are heavier, it just makes it more important to take care that you are moving as lightly and easily as you can, without forcing. Go barefoot/minimal should help to give you the focus and discipline to 'go easy'; overly cushioning your feet (Which would otherwise strengthen and toughen fast if you take care to ease into your running), will encourage you to push too hard, and stress your joints.

I think with your greater weight, you should take care to go slow, and build up. Start light. Your early workouts should be walking, for longer and longer (in shoes without excessive cushioning). Then when you have built up to a nice steady slow walk, you introduce short 30 second jogs, focus being on maintainig light easy steps. then you can increase the time of each jog, and how often you sprinkle them into your walk. change the ratio of jogging to walking slowly in favour of jogging, over a period of many weeks. Your body will adapt to progressively greater challenges, but don't be tempted to rush. Forcing it or getting impatient can lead to injury.
    very well said!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

very well said!!
    I agree also. Studies have shown that shoe cushioning has absolutely zero effect on reducing impact forces when running. It's all an illusion. What will reduce impact forces is running with good running form allowing your muscles and tendons to perform their function and spare the joints. Google "Good Form Running".