major pains.......

neenaleigh
neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
so i'm training for my first 1/2 marathon...its in 2 weeks....i started training in January where i could only run for 3 mins. I just ran 10 miles yesterday for the first time. I am confident that i can do it but every time i start out on a long run (anything over 5 i think is long) i start out with major cramping and pain in my side. I have managed to run it off, but it flippin hurts! it will start out in the first mile usually on one side, then the other, then some times the pain comes in waves....what the hell is it??? it doesnt happen when i do 2, 3, 4, or 5 mile runs.....is it anxiety?? i do worry about my time for the long run and if i can make it....its really hard to get through it...the pain is really intense...if anyone can tell me what could be the cause i would appreciate it.

Replies

• sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Side stitches...definitely no fun. The best thing I found to prevent them? Drink lots of water before you run. If I'm the least bit dehydrated, I have them like crazy. As for while your running...put pressure where it hurts and it tends to lessen the length of it. Hope that helps!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I think you are getting dehydrated if you are doing such long runs. Cramping is usually from an electrolyte imbalance. Try drinking some smart water. It's a much better option than gatorade etc. With hockey we used to make the guys drink pickle juice to help with their cramping! :laugh: Yum Yum!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    good luck with your 1/2 marathon, i am running my first one as well on march 7th. i dont have any advice on the cramps. i have only run 10 miles as well but i am sure i can do the 13 with the adrenalin rush.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    thanks all!!! i will try to drink more water and see if that helps this weekend! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.