Going to run a marathon, weight?

Options
I'm at a healthy BMI of 21, I'm just wondering if I should loose some weight? Not loads just to be the lower end of healthy iykwim? Would it help or not?

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you aren't in marathon training mode yet, once you start, you will lose weight anyway most likely. I'm running one next weekend and I'm at a BMI of about 23 I believe. For my running I want to get down to about 160 - 165 since I think that will be easier on my body and that would put me at your BMI. I don't know your build but I personally don't want to get on the very low end of the BMI scale. I think carrying a certain amount of body fat is helpful for times of illness! I'm around 15% BF which is more important than the BMI scales. I want to stay in the 12 - 13% range.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 'normal' range for body fat, I wouldn't mind being in the 'lean' category! I'm starting my program this week, runs 4 times a week. I'm 5ft 4 and 56kg, size 8-10.
  • shivles
    Options
    bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want to be in the athletic bodyfat range, 14 to 20%. Less than that and you might cause health problems and running performance will get worse.
  • shivles
    Options
    So some weight loss is good as long as its mostly body fat I'm loosing?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Losing muscle is never good. Losing fat is always good down to around the lower limits of the athletic bodyfat range. Below that it can start to cause health problems. The best way I have found to lose the weight while running a lot is to eat healthy at a small deficit, 250 to 500 calories per day. With that deficit you won't compromise your energy, will have enough nutrition for recovery, and can slowly and steadily reduce bodyfat.