Does anyone not like counting fruit and veg?

Options
I used to do the Scottish Slimmers diet and you could have 2 portions of fruit and as much veg without counting. Also a small amount of milk or other dairy, but I can't remember how much.

I still like to follow this idea, as it means I can have fruit for breakfast and not have to count it, or if I have used all my calories for the day, I can still have some veggies or fruit later on.

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i don't really understand your question, but you should be able to eat as much vegetable as you want (provided it's prepared properly) until you're not hungry and you'd be fine. calories are still calories but you shouldn't starve yourself if you're hungry.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I dont count tomatoes and lettuce on sandwiches
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I count everything. It's how this site works.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I used to do the Scottish Slimmers diet and you could have 2 portions of fruit and as much veg without counting. Also a small amount of milk or other dairy, but I can't remember how much.

I still like to follow this idea, as it means I can have fruit for breakfast and not have to count it, or if I have used all my calories for the day, I can still have some veggies or fruit later on.

I don't count broccoli etc but I do count fruit.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like to count everything. It's like a game for me where I try to make my meal choices fit perfectly into my macros. I track fiber and sodium as well as calories, fat, carbs, and protein, and the veggies and fruit help me meet those goals.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No... different 'diets' follow different concepts whereas this is calorie counting... so count calories, all calories. 2 pieces of fruit is near 200 cals...
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nope. I count everything. Calories are still calories even if their healthy. If I didn't count them then thats an easy 1/3 - 1/2 of my daily intake unaccounted for.

What is the benefit to not counting your fruit/veg calories?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A banana has 100 calories or more. Apples and oranges have around 80. Not counting them is called not logging them. So, when you are not losing weight and can't figure out why, I'd start there.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Calories in fruit and some veg can really add up. If you're not going to count them you might want to at least have a clear idea of how many calories you're consuming so you're not hundreds of calories over at the end of the day. It's easier to do than you might think.

I don't log every single thing (like a previous poster said, a slice of tomato and lettuce on a sandwich), but if it's over 25 calories I pay attention and log it. I've been amazed at how many calories are in foods I have always thought didn't "count".
  • If I didn't count fruit and veg, I'd be eating an extra 2-400 calories a day. The point of mfp is to track everything so that you know what you're putting into your body. If you're tracking your food and you're 100 calories under your limit, but haven't included the 350 calories of fruit and veg you've eaten throughout the day, you'd actually end up 250 calories over. No, you won't gain weight from it because you're still under maintenance, but you'd lose weight incredibly slowly.
  • RaurieLeigh
    Options
    I think I should do that too. I added broccoli into my pasta to bulk it out and make it a bigger meal. I don't feel like I should count it, or I might as well have added more pasta.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I do log all my fruits and vegetables (okay, not lately, but that's because I fell off the wagon and wasn't logging at all :blushing: )

First of all, fruits especially do have calories. It doesn't mean that they are bad, but I do want to make sure that I take those calories into account when I think I'm under my goal. I imagine finishing logging, being 15 calories under and thinking "great, I should be losing weight" … but not accounting for the banana and apple I'd had, plus the squash, carrots, and broccoli. Each one isn't that much, but all together it could add up to another 200 calories (in other words, almost my entire deficit!). It's better to track them and not eat the extra calories elsewhere.

Secondly, some days or weeks (or months :grumble: ) I struggle to get my 5 servings of fruits and veggies in. If I log it all, it's a type of accountability. I can go back and look and see how I've done and know what I need to work on. Also, I like to track my fiber (it's good for digestive health, heart & vascular health, and more to get enough fiber) and fruits and veggies are a big source of that.

On the other hand, I don't track sugar, so it doesn't freak me out to see I'm "over" because of the fruit I've eaten.

ETA: I just updated my ticker to show weight loss this year. I've really lost almost 20 lbs.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    Count everything. All calories count.
  • RaurieLeigh
    Options
    It makes me want to eat them more. Adding in veg to meals I wouldn't normally add them to. And snacking on veg instead of other things cause I don't have to count them.
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to, but I typically don't count them either. I may count a banana, because they can be pretty big and are so sugary. And I'll count super starchy stuff like lima beans, but I don't count spinach or broccoli or well... a lot of other vegetables or fruits. I don't want to prevent myself from eating some apple slices because it's taking up my calories, you know? And I have still lost weight. I say keep doing the thing that's working for you! Best of luck to you!
  • jchorgan
    jchorgan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I typically don't count veggies, but I do fruit, HOWEVER, if I am still hungry and need a snack, I figure it's better to "over-indulge" (using that term loosely) on fruit than on cookies!! :wink:
  • RaurieLeigh
    Options
    I only really count the calories, just cause from previous diets that's been the only focus. But I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to trade an entire meal for a chocolate bar and say it's fine cause I'm only counting calories.

So I'll log my fruit, definitely, but I'll just be more wary on my veg. If I had to count every piece of veg I ate then I would stop eating it. I'd rather lose weight slower and continue to eat my veg uncounted, than count everything precisely and lose it fast.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Nope...if it goes in your mouth it counts! Don't fool yourself!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Is Scottish Slimmers a points based system? If so that is why, it is only loosely based on calories. MFP is calorie and macronutrient based, produce has macronutrients and calories, end of story. Those systems may also give extra points to certain horrifically unhealthy foods, over and above what you would expect from pure calories, are you doing this or are you picking and choosing the parts of the system you keep?

I rather like that I can eat a ton of calories and nutrients with non starchy vegetables and barely touch my macros. If I invented a points based system I probably wouldn't count a certain amount of oily fish or fat free plain yoghurt either.
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a couple of things they don't count. I usually don't count cucumber as a snack, nor am I picky about counting my first (and usually only) coffee of the day. However, I pay attention to more than just my calorie intake (specifically my calcium and iron), and adding them in really gives me a more whole view of what I'm eating throughout the day.