Had my 1st driving lesson today .. tell me ur experiences!

Options
InnerFatGirl
InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
I had my highly anticipated first driving lesson today!

It was scary, but very fun. I LOVE driving! My instructor is good too, and I got to drive a lot more than I expected. Not only that, but we covered puling in and out from the curb, the basics, junctions, busy roads and traffic heavy roads. I still can't believe that I drove a car on the actual road!

I'm doing automatic, by the way, but it was still difficult and a lot to learn. I am very pleased with my decision to choose automatic though :)

So, tell me, what was your experience of learning to drive?

Replies

• emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    I didn't get my drivers license until I'm 23. I was super afraid to drive, and then I lived in Chicago where I didn't have to drive, and then it was unavoidable.

The good news: It's not that bad!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It seems so long ago now! I started learning when I was 17 - I was in Year 12 at school. My birthday's in October so I was one of the first in my year to learn.

I grew up in York so that's where I learned, on a manual too. I learned with BSM in a Corsa. I used to love my lessons! I passed my test in the April (1995) but didn't buy my own car until I was 23 or 24.

I had a lovely convertible Beetle at one point but sold it when i got pregnant.

I think my best driving experience was in 2003 when my sister and i went to the US and drove from San Francisco to LA on the Pacific Coast Highway.

My husband is 38 and has never learned to drive!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me how to drive in the cemetery. It was a good place to learn how to do turns and you didn't have to worry about people.

For parallel parking, my dad put two of his vehicles in the street and I wiggled in that way. Then he took me to a restaurant parking lot to learn how to back into a parking space.

I passed my driver's test the first time I took it and have had to take several written tests over the years due to moving back and forth between states. Passed those with flying colors every time.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies guys! Interesting to hear about your experiences :)

Also, those of you from America, what is the process towards getting your license there?
  • ladyshills
    Options
    I was 17 & a friend taught me. I was so nervous my leg would shake when I put the brakes on. I drove around our subdivision. I took my drivers test when I was 18 and passed the first time. Was out driving that night & made a right turn on red (which had just become legal here).. got pulled over by a cop because the law states you have to stop first, then make your right on red. I didn't know that lol! I didn't get a ticket lucky break! Where I live (Tennessee) you have to study the book, take a written test, then take a driving test. Too easy in my opinion- drive around a block & pull into the testing station parking lot. No reverse, no paralle parking, no freeway driving,