I really need to eat more

Helawat
Helawat Posts: 605 Member
I really do need to eat more and it's something that I really struggle with. I end up averaging about 1100-1200 calories a day and I know I need to eat more.

I believe I'm fine on the days I don't work out . My BMR is 1466 and with a 500 calorie deficit I'm at 966 calories and since you shouldn't eat under 1200, I think I'm fine on non workout days.

However, on days I do workout that's another story. I'll end up burning around 400-600 calories and still eat 1200 calories!

1466+400-500= 1366
1466+600-500= 1566

Any suggestions on eating more calories? I can't cook and refuse to cook (boyfriend also won't eat my cooking out of fear of food poisoning). If it doesn't come from the microwave or from the cupboard, I won't eat it unless someone makes it for me.

I feel I should be losing more weight and my utter lack of calories is putting me at an utter standstill.

Replies

• Helawat
    I really do need to eat more and it's something that I really struggle with. I end up averaging about 1100-1200 calories a day and I know I need to eat more.

I believe I'm fine on the days I don't work out . My BMR is 1466 and with a 500 calorie deficit I'm at 966 calories and since you shouldn't eat under 1200, I think I'm fine on non workout days.

However, on days I do workout that's another story. I'll end up burning around 400-600 calories and still eat 1200 calories!

1466+400-500= 1366
    1466+600-500= 1566

Any suggestions on eating more calories? I can't cook and refuse to cook (boyfriend also won't eat my cooking out of fear of food poisoning). If it doesn't come from the microwave or from the cupboard, I won't eat it unless someone makes it for me.

I feel I should be losing more weight and my utter lack of calories is putting me at an utter standstill.
  • rhondababy
    rhondababy Posts: 119
    Nuts and fruit juice- very calorie dense! Good luck- I wish I had that problem!!!:laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    smoothies. I add nut butters (almond or peanut) and protein powder to make them more calorie dense. Using a blender doesn't count as cooking, right?:tongue:

nuts in general are my best friend. Just a handful and wham. . .200 calories.
  • Helawat
    These are good suggestions- nuts and juice. I don't own a blender and I'm not planning on purchasing one since I'm moving across the country in a few months but snacking on nuts will help me get to my goal.

Here's a question: can I use soda like Dr. Pepper to fulfill my daily requirements or should I stick with 100% fruit juice? Right now I only drink 1 soda every 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I can have more due to the HFCs.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    That's really not the best choice...it's important to eat enough, but you don't want to be supplementing calories with empty foods like soda that spike your blood sugar so horrendously and have no healthy fat or protein. Just eat more of the same stuff that you're eating. Instead of having one serving, have two.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    That's really not the best choice...it's important to eat enough, but you don't want to be supplementing calories with empty foods like soda that spike your blood sugar so horrendously and have no healthy fat or protein. Just eat more of the same stuff that you're eating. Instead of having one serving, have two.

i agree with this.

I wish I had a problem of not eating enough calories but I find when I make really good meal choices, I am under my calories and full! lol So I usually end up having some medley of fruits before I go to bed, or a glass of chocolate milk.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member

Helewat, just wanted to clarify. Is 1466 your BMR or is it your maintenance calories. To lose 1lb a week you want to subtract the 500 from your maitenance not your BMR. It is a generally held opinion that you should NEVER eat below your BMR since these are the calories your body needs just to function.

I am very glad you are concerned about how many calories you are eating. You are right. You should be eating more. People have made some great suggestions. Nuts, avocados, peanut butter and apple, low-fat dairy like yogurt, cottage cheese and string cheese are all very easy to eat - even without cooking!
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    966 calories is way too low jessneill is right BMR is if you just kay in bed and did absolutely nothing when you do your profile it ask what your lifestyle is sedentry active etc then it give you more cals for that which is maintenance then for 1 lb a week your subtract 500 for 2lb subtract 1000 that is then your daily requirement plus exercise cals.

To bump up cals I go for a glass of ice cold milk or a low fat yoghurt and I allways keep a couple of cans of tinned fruit and jelly (jello) for emergencies. I am still trying to discipline myself into snacking on the correct foods not having a bag of chips to make up the difference.

Not sure but I think popcorn is also a good snack as long as not to salty or covered in butter.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    peanut butter
  • My BMR is 1285, and lately, I'm only getting like 960 calories a day. I don't know what the the deficit and all that is bout, plz explain it to me!! Im lost!! To lose a lb a week, explain exactly what i need to do, exercise and all!! Thank u!!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    My BMR is 1285, and lately, I'm only getting like 960 calories a day. I don't know what the the deficit and all that is bout, plz explain it to me!! Im lost!! To lose a lb a week, explain exactly what i need to do, exercise and all!! Thank u!!

Your BMR is what your body needs if you stayed in bed all day and did nothing. this is basically just the calories needed for functioning of your organs. Most people believe that eating below this is dangerous,which does make sense. If you want to lose 1lb a week you subtract 1000 calories a day from your maintenance calories. Your maintenance calories are how many calories you would need to stay the weight you are right now. You can find those by changing your goals from losing weight to maintaining weight. Once you know that you can custom change your daily calorie amount to that. Just make sure you don't eat below your BMR as this can put you into starvation mode. You may lose weight initially but eventually your metabolism will start slowing down and your body will fight to keep every calorie you put into it.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    There is this really great book I am reading called "How to Boil Water". I got it at my local library. I grew up with a single parent and a microwave. We moved alot but never had an oven or a stove. So as a child, my meals mainly consisted of ramen noodles and canned vegtables. When I moved out on my own I was clueless. I literally didn't know how to boil eggs. Now I have several really good meals/recipes that I can cook. In the last 5 years I have improved vastly, I'm definitely no gourmet chef. But my diet is so much easier and I eat so much healthier now. I can give you lots of tips if you'd like. I only cook meat and eggs using the stove/oven. I get all my vegies frozen at the grocery store. They steam right in the bag when you cook them in the microwave and they are delicious! I also cook whole grains, like coucous and quinoa on the stove top. I LOVE couscous and it takes about 5 minutes to make. I'm so glad I finally learned how to cook. I can cook better than my mom now!!! Although I do generally follow the directions on the back of the box for most other stuff LOL.