Agave

Options
Hey what are everyone's thoughts on agave? Is that a good sweetener for me to use or is there a better sweetener out there?

Replies

• miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's highly refined by the time you buy it in stores. It's similar to high fructose corn syrup. I prefer natural maple syrup or evaporated cane sugar for the rare times that I use sugar in my cooking. Raw honey is good too and if you buy from a local producer then you get the benefits of boosting your immune system against local allergens.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    In addition to being highly refined, it's worse than high fructose corn syrup, almost 85% fructose-- the 'sugar' that can be metabolized almost solely by the liver. Seriously, if you're concerned about your health and still want sugar, use glucose, or cane sugar, just watch how much. Reducing sugar is the best solution IMHO.
  • housewifemandi
    Options
    i like xylitol (birch sugar), but its expensive and hard to find. i cant taste the difference between that and regular sugar. right now i usually dont use sweetener in anything.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Raw honey is great and tastes unbelievable with Greek yogurt (It's my fave sweet snack right now!)

I don;t know if you have coconut sugar available in your area, it makes a great sweetener and has a lovely toasted maple taste.

I think agave is okay, depending on what you are using it for. Like all sweeteners moderation is key.

I avoid artificial sweeteners at all times and I also cannot stand the taste of this new and trendy stevia. It tastes vile IMO.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Do you mean agave nectar? It's pure sugar, isn't it?