calorie counters and monitors

Options
so im sure this has been asked before, but i was wondering if its worth the expence of getting a heart rate monitor or one of those fit arm bands. I mean, i keep a pretty good log of what i eat and do, so do they really help? Or is it just an expence i could probably do without?.Which are the better ones, and why...Just a few questions, many thanks for any input

Replies

• natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have both and I have stopped using them. I relied too much on them for calorie burns and I felt like I couldn't exercise without it. I have a of Polar HRM. The calorie burns when doing cardio were a little bit lower than MFP. I now lift weights and HRM's aren't suppose to be a good gauge for weights. I was then trying to figure out my TDEE so I got a BMF. It was good info but I hated wearing it all the time. it bothered me. I would recommend using the online calculators like Scooby to figure out your calorie goals and TDEE. It will save you a lot of money in the end.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and I love it! I don't mind wearing it, and it helps me to adjust my eating based on my calorie burn for each day, as mine varies quite a bit.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just got a Scosche arm HRM and I am seeing now what big differences there are in my workouts. The same workout I did at 220 lbs (less fit) I was putting 255 cals for 28 mins. At 198 lbs and a good bit stronger, doing the same workout I see a range from 378-476 cals for the same timeframe.
    Everyone's different of course. In the beginning I said I just couldn't afford something so "selfish" as spending $100'ish on a HRM of any sort. Thankfully Christmas doesn't count for being selfish and I got one as a gift. I forgot my Scosche one day and didn't have it for my workout. It irritated me not having it, but it wasn't enough deterrent to keep me from doing my workout anyway. I used an average of calories and just kept going.