Zumba for beginners

Options
I haven't exercised in two years, have asthma and weigh 4 stone more than I did before I was pregnant.

Would Zumba be a good thing for me to do?

Replies

• tbbycatt
    Options
    If you can, try either to find a Zumba Gold class or get the dvd's. Zumba Gold is geared towards people who aren't as active. It's a great way to start!
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Nothing like that where I live I'm afraid just Zumba lol
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go and watch a class before you jump in and make sure you talk to the instructor about modifying the moves before you try it.
    Depending on how bad the asthma is take your inhaler with you and put it by your water bottle just in case.
    Also remember it is about having fun!
  • lollilady
    lollilady Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i started zumba and was very overweight my instructor told me that it wasnt a case of keeping up with the class but about moving and having fun it did work for me cant do it at the moment due to knee problems but i would go for it and get the dvds they help i i have all the zumbas and use with my wii:smile:
    Options
    I have it on Xbox but got annoyed cuz the machine wouldn't pick up my moves properly!
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Any good instructor will give you the low impact and high impact version of each move, especially if they know they have new members. Being January I am sure you will not be the only newbe either. Talk to the instructor and let them know your fears. As the lady above me said it is all about keeping moving not about doing the high impact versions of each dance perfectly straight away.
    No harm in trying xx
    Options
    Thanks everyone d
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great exercise! It was the first class I tried at the gym and I'll admit it was hard. I was breathing a lot harder than most of the other ladies, and had to get a drink between every song, but I kept doing it and it got easier. Just let the instructor know so they can show you modifications as necessary! If you keep at it you will see tremendous improvements in cardiovascular fitness and you will develop the endurance and stamina to try other things like spinning, running, stair climbing, etc!
  • SportyChick07
    SportyChick07 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    @0440772 - Yes, just go at you our pace. just have fun!!!
  • theladyxena
    theladyxena Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    check it out on utube. It helps to learn the moves and in your own home to see if it works for you
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Core for the Wii. I LOVE IT!!! I totally suck but it is SO much fun! I laugh at myself and smile while doing it. The kids get involved too... Win, Win!!!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I, like you have asthma. Take it slow & do what you can. I have been doing Zumba for over a year now.l Start with Zumba Gold slower paced than original, Zumba toning or aqua zumba (water aerobics) Check out zumba.com add your location or city near you to see what is available. Some chain gyms offer zumba, I personally take classes at my community center only $5 drop in or if pay by the month works out to $4 a class. Prices vary by location. Check meetup.com to see if zumba free classes offered or large party get togethers. It's offered in my area but not all. Zumba.com also offers clothing & Dvd's. QVC & amazon also. I have Zumba Fitness, Exhilerate, & the new Zumba Gold offer on QVC or zumba.com. It's nice to do both, Others have WII & other game version. If you try classes it is hard at first gets easier. Try different instructors. A good one makes all the difference. Ask others for help. Some one is always asking me to teach the steps of a favorite before class or stand behind me & follow . Utube has some fun routines that are free. Good luck have fun. Beach body coaches in different areas offer free exercise classes in local areas may not be zumba however free so you can see the dvd's & routines they offer.
  • theladyxena
    theladyxena Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Core for the Wii. I LOVE IT!!! I totally suck but it is SO much fun! I laugh at myself and smile while doing it. The kids get involved too... Win, Win!!!

That sounds like fun! I'm going to get the Zumba Core for Wii. I don't dance well, but I do like the Wii "Just Dance". I had the best time, and didn't realize I had been dancing for 20 minutes!!