Kids cereal suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I dont know how old your kids are, but I remember eating microwavable cream of wheat a lot as a kid. Id just pop it in the microwave and I had a meal in a couple minutes. Pairs well with fruit and the whole grain version as a bit more fiber to make it filling.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Kids and I had a standoff over cereals. I quit buying it and switched to oatmeal. Took them a few days to realize that the junk wasn't coming back and they gave in. =-) Now they'll eat both steel cut or old fashioned rolled oats. We mix in fruits and cinnamon, sometimes maple syrup or a bit of honey. Better for them, better for my budget since I'm not paying $3 for a box of crap!
  • mlewis516
    Options
    We love the cinnamon chex at our house. It's our alternative to all the overly sugared cereals!
  • dthopkins2013
    Options
    My kids love Corn Chex. You can sweeten it with stevia if you like. They also like fiber 1 cereals and the cereal bars
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of Chex recommendations, so we will try that!!

Cream of Wheat. I have seen it in the store, but honestly, I have never tried it. Is it like oatmeal?
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    Personally, I don't like the texture of Cream of Wheat. Idk... it's weird. It's like mushy and slimy. LoL. It's like grits without the grit but to the sweet side....

Chex.... I love Chex and there are a lot of varieties!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Have you seen any of the Barbara's line of cereals? http://www.barbarasbakery.com/cereals/

They aren't the most amazing thing on the shelf as far as nutrition goes, but they actually TASTE good and your kids will want to eat them, so I think it balances out. Some are better than others nutritionally speaking, but quite a few of them have only 5-7g of sugar.