trouble with steel cut oats

Options
2»

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I omitted the butter. It was amazingly good. I am starting the 30 day challenge this week and plan on making it again but omitting the brown sugar. I did some searches and found that grade b pure maple syrup is a good sub for brown sugar. I also chopped up an apple into it.

Maple syrup is also a little lower on the glycemic index. Since the amount we use is usually the same as for the brown sugar, the glycemic load is lower so you don't get such a sugar rush (although the total effect should be bad anyway.)
  • teresa0331
    teresa0331 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump for later :happy:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Yes, this fed 4 of us. Sorry. I walked away from the post for a while. This is defiantly not 1 serving.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this wonderful Recipe!

I made this overnight in my slow cooker and woke up to delish oatmeal (sans butter) this AM. Perfect way to start my day :)
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Sounds good!

Thanks
  • ChipmunkPaw
    ChipmunkPaw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried oatmeal before - used to make quaker old fashioned oats and mix with either peanut butter / maple syrup, or frozen blueberries and splenda. They were both pretty good, but not EXCITING.

I had tried steel cut oats before too - found them not worth the effort.

HOWEVER - all that has changed. I gave steel cut oats another try in the new year (just as I started MFP) and I tell you I am HOOKED - OBSESSED. They are my favorite breakfast - I love them - prefer them to a bagel, or eggs, or pastry, or anything.

I make a SAVORY (not sweet) version and cook them "risotto style" -

1>use a good brand - McCanns or Bobs Red Mill
    2>melt teaspoon of butter in small saucepan
    3>add 1/4 steel cut oats. Stir or shake so they do not burn. Let them toast for 2-4 minutes till they smell yummy.
    4> add 3/4 cups BOILING water.
    5>add dash of salt (I prefer sea salt)
    6>stir occasionally - will be cooked in approx 10-15 minutes.
    7>I add two tablespoons of shredded romano cheese - I think any good sharp flavorful cheese would be good. I also add lots of fresh ground pepper and a bit more salt.

These are SO delicious. Would never return to sweet. It's like having risotto for breakfast.

ALSO - I should add - the "overnight method" works too - bring water and oats to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and leave on stove till morning. Reheat within 5 minutes. It works - I just don't find the taste/flavor as compelling. Unless I'm in a mad rush, I don't mind the 15 minutes it takes to make from scratch - during that time I'm making coffee, unloading dishwasher, packing my daughters school lunch, etc.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are now my standard breakfast. We just add water & salt and cook 3 hours on high in the crockpot to make a big batch every Sunday. We divide it out into 10 servings so my wife & I each have a quick breakfast to grab in the morning. We made our own healthy version of apple butter and put a little of that + cinnamon on the cooked oats. Great way to start the day and keeps me going for a few hours until I need to eat something again.