Husbands/friends/family not supportive/motivating?

Options
Anyone in the same boat?? My husband used to be an "urban" cyclist but has a primarily sedentary lifestyle now. He's pretty lazy, actually, and he also prefers processed foods, red meat, and dairy over healthier alternatives. Oh, and he hates to cook! While he will eat clean foods if I make them, I struggle with the constant discrepancies between his motivations and my own. He's supportive "directly" (i.e., he says he'll support me), but most of the time he's indirectly not supporting me (e.g., being a couch potato, eating sweets all the time, etc.). (For years, he could get away with it for himself, but this past year he's started gaining a lot of weight. This doesn't seem to be a big concern to him.)

And, of course, no other friends or family members of mine share (or understand) my desire to eat healthy.

How have any of you maintained hope/pushed on when not having a strong "healthy lifestyle" offline support system?

Replies

• sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    When I started out I had 0 support. Some people need it to succeed I suppose but it didn't really bother me. I knew what I wanted and went after it. I eventually got with a man who complimented me 24/7 and made me feel great. He didn't actually enjoy exercising and eating right like me but that was fine. When I moved in with him I did the cooking so he learned how to eat better and that it wasn't all bad. We are no longer together but i'm happy to say he picked up on some of my good habits and is still applying them to his everyday life.

Anyway, MFP is a great support system so use it! A lot of people don't have a support system and have to look within themselves to keep going. We are all here for you :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    i read your post and thought, "welcome to the real world!" (not *****y, just a little sarcasm...)

At any rate, we all have discovered this website and many for the exact reason you state - not having support. The truth is we have to do this alone no matter what support system you have in place. Sure, it might be easier with support, but it is totally do-able without it so long as you continually support yourself and affirm your own efforts. You want this - you can have it - just do it.

Best of luck to you!!!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    At any rate, we all have discovered this website and many for the exact reason you state - not having support. The truth is we have to do this alone no matter what support system you have in place. Sure, it might be easier with support, but it is totally do-able without it so long as you continually support yourself and affirm your own efforts. You want this - you can have it - just do it.
    Total sense. You said it to her but it works for me.

My husband is supportive but also likes his sweets and isn't shy of eating stuff in front of me. It could be a menstrual thing over the last day or so but I am like climbing the wall with cravings...gargh!