ALWAYS over on protein!?!?

Options
Does anyone else have a problem always being over on protein? It seems that everything made nowadays has extra protein in it and I cant seem to stay on my goal. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    protein is a minimum, not a maximum. Same with fiber.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Protein is something you want to be over on, no need to make a fuss :)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    The protein macro defaults to a low setting. Many people custom set it to a higher minimum.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    Ohhh Ok thanks. I remember once my children's doctor said something about we shouldn't eat too much protein. Does anyone know what is a good amount?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I just answered a thread on this very topic not minutes ago...being over on protein is a good thing...not bad...my lean mass is 116 lbs, I shoot for 120g of protein every day...too much? Nope...keeps my muscles happy and me less hungry...my macros are set to 35 % carbs, 35 % protein and 30 % fat...you can alter your macros in the settings bit...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    From everything I hve read over the past two years, you should set your protein intake at .8 -1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass. I have about 100 pounds of lean body mass and I aim for at least that in protein each day.

If you need to figure out your LBM, calculate your body fat percentage at www.fat2fitradio.com's military body fat calculator - it will tell you your LBM (estimated, of course).
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ohhh Ok thanks. I remember once my children's doctor said something about we shouldn't eat too much protein. Does anyone know what is a good amount?

I already posted my answer to your amount question...but I have heard that before as well and from what I have learned, as long as I stay hydrated enough, the extra protein is no problem.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I make a point of being over on protein
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    lucky you!
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I wondered this as well because I easily go over on protein every day. I try not to worry about it though because it fills me up more and keeps me away from the sugary stuff.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The body needs protein to build and restore. One "rule of thumb" is 60-90 grams of protein for women and 80-110 grams for men. However I simply listen to my body - some days I need and want more and other days, I want less. QUALITY of protein is important. The meats you find these days is loaded with hormones. Try eating grass-fed and organic meats, if you can.
  • sylvieperron
    Options
    thanks for the info. i am just new to this and thought it weird that such a small portion of chicken could use up so much of my 'allowance.'
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private so can't tell for sure, but most likely your protein target is too low. Regardless, protein target should be considered a minimum, not a maximum.
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    protein is a minimum, not a maximum. Same with fiber.

THIS!!!!

Protein should be around 80 - 100 grams/day (unless you have Kidney issues or other health issues)
    Fibre should be around 30+ grams/day

I am always looking for more lean protein and fibre foods, fibre is tougher than protein for me, so I add it to my
    shake in the morning!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Your lucky, I have a hard time getting enough protein. As I left weights, I need protein.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yup. Usually the same way as far as the macros go
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The body needs protein to build and restore. One "rule of thumb" is 60-90 grams of protein for women and 80-110 grams for men. However I simply listen to my body - some days I need and want more and other days, I want less. QUALITY of protein is important. The meats you find these days is loaded with hormones. Try eating grass-fed and organic meats, if you can.

Those aren't maximums. We can easily eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. I've easily eaten 1.5 grams per pound of lean mass.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    With a 2000+ calorie goal for me, it's sugar and it's not even close.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    How far over? It's good to be over as long as it isn't excessive.

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation