eggs

Options
Im kind of new with the dieting if i make eggs to go in my salad do i use the yoke or not?

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Your choice. I would probably use two eggs but one yoke. Egg whites are less calorie then with the yoke.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You most certainly can! There's protein in the yolks as well. I would limit it to just 1 yolk and maybe 2 egg whites though. There's also cholesterol and fat in the yolks. They aren't as bad as once thought though, so go ahead and toss one in!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i have gotten in a habit of using egg beaters for most things requiring egg (they are 30 as opposed to 60 calories), but sometimes a hard boiled egg is what you want (rather than pre-scrambled like egg beaters).

if you like have a whole egg, go ahead. -katie
  • logansmom6106
    logansmom6106 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you all im actully hard boiling it to go on top of a salad.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html

10 Health Benefits of Eggs

1. Eggs are great for the eyes. According to one study, an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.

2. In another study, researchers found that people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.

3. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.

4. According to a study by the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no significant link between egg consumption and heart disease. In fact, according to one study, regular consumption of eggs may help prevent blood clots, stroke, and heart attacks.

5. They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.

6. They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

7. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

8. Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

9. Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%.

10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

I eat one whole egg with toast for breakfast everyday, the protein keeps me feeling full. When I switched for a time and ate oatmeal to try to lower my cholesteral it actually went up. Plus I was hungry within a couple of hours. I think they are a near perfect food.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information on the eggs! I eat 2 egg whites every morning - but occasionally throw a yoke in there too. I've tried other things for breakfast - but I've found 2 egg yolks, a pinch of shredded cheddar, a teaspoon of salsa and teaspoon of sour cream along with some fiber one cereal keep me going for a long time and I have a ton of energy. I was always a person who "couldn't eat breakfast" - I'd eat it and either crash midmorning or feel hungry all day.... I can't have a lot carbs first thing in the morning because my blood sugar goes crazy. Good to know that my current breakfast set up is helping my eyes... they need all the help they can get!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice--there has been big shift in thought recently on the topic of egg yolk, though, I believe.
    Google brings forth pages and pages of reading if you're interested in the details.
    e.g. http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Me, I eat the whole egg (several times a week) :)
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information on the eggs! I eat 2 egg whites every morning - but occasionally throw a yoke in there too. I've tried other things for breakfast - but I've found 2 egg yolks, a pinch of shredded cheddar, a teaspoon of salsa and teaspoon of sour cream along with some fiber one cereal keep me going for a long time and I have a ton of energy. I was always a person who "couldn't eat breakfast" - I'd eat it and either crash midmorning or feel hungry all day.... I can't have a lot carbs first thing in the morning because my blood sugar goes crazy. Good to know that my current breakfast set up is helping my eyes... they need all the help they can get!

The Lutein, Zeaxanthin (for eyes), Choline for brain, nerous & cardiovascular systems, are in the yolk. For the full benefit from the egg you might want to switch to one whole egg instead of the two whites. In the research that's been done on Macular Degeneration they did not find a rise in cholesterol/lipid levels in the egg eaters.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Since I eat high protein for 4-5 days a week (& 2 days of carb load), I eat alot of eggs....like 7-9 a day, but only 3-4 are whole, the rest whites only. Nothing wrong with eggs....and the best part....it's all natural.