Advice on a good shoe brand needed

Options
Kind of think that says it all, but for walking not running. Kind of like a consumer review post here :) Thanks

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks running shoes and I'm guessing they make specific for a walker too.

You should go to a running or athletic store and ask for a shoe fitting - they will record you walking and suggest the perfect shoe for your gait and desired activity.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I love my Sauconys. I overpronate, and they seem to keep my shins the happiest. I have also had ASICS that were really good.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks running shoes and I'm guessing they make specific for a walker too.

You should go to a running or athletic store and ask for a shoe fitting - they will record you walking and suggest the perfect shoe for your gait and desired activity.

Seconded.

What works for me as an overpronator may not be appropriate for you if you have a neutral foot, so you should really get fitted. If you don't want or can't get to a running store, check out the short videos here, which will explain some methods (like the wet-foot test) to determine your pronation needs at home.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/footwear.html

I also love brooks.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I agree!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Well my sneakers are designed for running, but they're super light weight and very comfortable for walking. It's a pair of Asics. I think they cost me about $125
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    New Balance. Love 'em.
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Saucony all the way for walking and running here! I love the Omniglide which resets my over-pronation and makes things pain free. Got some NB for trail walking and running though.
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options
    I prefer Asics. But I really think the shoe depends on the person. Everybody's feet and comfort levels are different.
  • ro_lambert
    Options
    I have Nike Lunarglides they're awesome. They're $145 on Nike's website but probably cheaper at Footlocker.
    I had Nike Free Runs and hated them, they hurt my ankles so badly. Hope this helped!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I swear by asics and I have problem feet. I tried a pair of brooks, hated them. they felt like bricks on my feet. I'd recommend not taking any advice from people here. go to a running/walking store and get fitted. I got fitted at virginia runner.... those places are free (for fittings) and they do gait analysis and all. very worth your time.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Asics all the way!! I used to wear Nike, then I did New Balance. Now that I switched to Asics I will never go back! I hated my New Balances!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I wear the same shoes (Brooks Ghost) for running/walking on pavement and the treadmill and I wear different shoes (Montrail Mountain Masochists) for trail running and hiking.

The best advice I can give is to go to a running shop and have your feet professionally fitted. There are lots of good brands, but finding the one that works for your gait and foot type is key!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You should go to a running store and get fitted for your feet. The people will then be able to base what brand of shoe you need on how your feet are and how you step.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my asics! Great trainers! X
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Saucony running shoes. They hold up really well and are wonderful if you have wide feet. Hope I helped! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Jazzercies
    Options
    Nike Vashon...saved my feet a couple years ago. Would never wear Ryka again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    love my Asics Gel Scram. I use them for walking, jogging, and circuit training. They are very comfortable.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My favorites for running have been Mizuno and Asics.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love the NewBalance. They have a lot of width options from narrow to super wide. They have a good selection of walking shoes too. When I was doing miles and miles of walking a day, I'd go through a pair in about 4 months.. No matter how good a shoe is, it can only handle 300+ pounds for so long. The best thing I did for myself was treat myself to new walking shoes frequently. Fortunately, you can find good prices on NB at a lot of the big shoe stores like Famous Footwear and DSW.
  • slimcakelady
    slimcakelady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to an athletic shoe store where someone is trained to help you make the selection that best for you. You can try on several pairs of shoes and try them out on a treadmill right in the store. I must have tried on several pairs and finally settled on Nike Pegasus. I've also tried Brooks and Asics, and they're all great shoes. Right now, I'm breaking in a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS.