Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dutch pea soup

glitteratthesea
glitteratthesea Posts: 104 Member
I made this soup this evening. It's a very thick soup with meat. Since it has quite a lot of peas, it fills you up very much. And if you chose your meat wisely, it can be low in calories too! This soup is a real dinner soup, not an entree!
Only thing is, is that you actually need half the afternoon to prepare it :tongue:.

You need (for 7/8 servings)
- 400 grams of split peas
- Half a celeriac
- Carrots
- Onion (I mostly take two, but one is enough too)
- Broth blocks (2 or 3)
- Sausages (for the people who know somewhat more about the Dutch: ik gebruik gerookte spekjes, rookworst en droge worst). Any sausages will do actually. So low-fat meat is okay too.
- Celery
- Bay Leaf

1) Three to four hours before you want to eat, you put your big pan on the gas and fill it with the split peas and 2 litres of water. Also put the broth blocks in the pan. When I use bacon (gerookte spekjes), I put it in at this time, because that adds a real nice flavour.
2) Slice the vegetables. If you want you can add more vegetables if you like. Keep on stirring!!
3) After it has cooked for an hour, you can add the meat. I use rookworst (smoked sausage, not the best translation) and droge worst (metworst). As I said, you can use any sausage you want, to keep it low in calories, but these are the real tradional meats in this soup!
4) Keep on stirring
5) Keep on stirring, and add the celery
6) Yeah, just keep on stirring
7) Put the bay leaf in for some moments for the taste
7) When it had become real thick you can eat it.

Note: The BEST dutch pea soup (erwtensoep/snert as we say it) is the one you made yesterday. If you keep this soup in your refrigerator, and you eat it the next day, the texture (and taste as well) has become so much better!

This soup is also very easy to keep in the fridge!

My version of this soup, with the all the meat, is 476 calories.

Replies