College Student 40+ pounds to lose NEED ENCOURAGEMENT

Options
I had a wake up call about a month ago. My asthma flared up when I got a cold, but it hasn't done this since freshman year of high school. I have grown out of it, but I think the extra weight really allowed it to take a hold of me. I ended up taking the wrong combination of cold and asthma meds. I ended up in the hospital in the same room as a man who had cut his throat trying to kill himself! My heart was beating at an astouding 170 beats per minute, and I almost had a heart attack! I am done medicating myself with JUNK food and medication in general.

I'm Kay, and I am 21 year old college student. I weighed about 130 lbs in high school, and that is when I felt healthy and confident in my own skin. I am only 5'2'' so you can imagine how all this extra weight on me looks and feels (HORRIBLE!). I started gaining weight my senior year of high school due to meeting my soul mate (whom I am engaged to and live with now). We got comfortable in our relationship, ate out ALL the time, and made eachother feel able to let go. We both gained over 40 lbs each. We also both started junior college, living together, and all the stresses of supporting ourselves finiancially. I call it my relationship/college weight. It's hard to afford all the things I need to eat healthy, but I bought a wii dancing/kick boxing game. I am starting to park in the back of the parking lot, and take the stairs when I can. I think avoiding junk food is really hard for me. When I eat out, I usually can pull it off, but at home when I am alone or upset or depressed, I turn to a big bowl of whatever I can find to stuff in my face. I need help for those moments of weakness, those poor choices, and this hopelessness I feel!
Would love to hear from any other college students. I might be taking care of my career and school, but I need to take care of myself!

Replies

• AXLRgirl2420
    Options
    I'm here to help and motivate!
  • jmariebamf
    Options
    I'm Jazmin and I'm 19 years old. I weigh about 150 pounds right now and my wake up call is when I weighed almost 160. I can't relate too much because I currently am not a college student. I've been thinking of enrolling but I have other things I need to knock out before I enroll. I'm a United States Marine stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I'm active, but I'm unhealthy. A lot of Japanese food is filled with unhealthy stuff and it's easy to lose myself in the calories, but I'm trying to get back on track.
  • amyhayden3
    Options
    i do the same thing im learning how to eat right now i have the wii too i have wii fit plus and zumba fitness i wanna get some dancing games for it tooo
  • lovelyworld
    lovelyworld Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a student in Scotland, 19, feel free to add!
  • kwseneca
    Options
    First off, thanks for your service! I am so so thankful!
    I am so the opposite of active! That's my main problem for the most part. If you do get into school, it just makes you want to eat so much more. I get so busy I usually say "screw it, let's order pizza" or I eat to relieve stress. Thanks for the reply!
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Like you, in highschool I was my "ideal" weight, but in the past few years the junk food has definitely taken a toll on my weight. I am 25 and I am also trying to lose 40 pounds.

YOU CAN DO IT! Just take it one day at a time...
  • kwseneca
    Options
    "lovelyworld" I am a really active student! I go to school full time, pay for tuition (which is really EXPENSIVE in America), and live on my own with my boyfriend! It is so stressful! Being a student yourself, I'm sure you understand!
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Hi there! Like you, in highschool I was my "ideal" weight, but in the past few years the junk food has definitely taken a toll on my weight. I am 25 and I am also trying to lose 40 pounds.

YOU CAN DO IT! Just take it one day at a time...

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! Thanks! You too. I am really trying to remember not to give up because even if you mess up a little, you are still trying!
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm trying to do! Thanks! You too. I am really trying to remember not to give up because even if you mess up a little, you are still trying!

Agreed! If you ever mess up, just get up and try again - it's never too late to try again. :) Good luck!
  • darkfitandlovely
    Options
    Hello there! I'm 26 and a first year doc student. So, I've been in college for the past 7 years. I can totally relate. You can add me if u like : )
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and I have about 40 pounds to lose, I'd be happy to encourage ya :D
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really want to be bikini ready when June rolls around! (also, creepy old guys, stop adding me)
    :) I'm sure everyone else has that problem too. HAHA

I also have a ton of great recipes and tips to share, but I need to follow them myself! HAHA :)
  • kwseneca
    Options
    I just had like 6 creepy old guys trying to add me as a friend...so I changed my pic to one of my dog... haha
  • Chejan
    Chejan Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student, and I have a lot of weight to lose. I know how challenging it can be so I'm here to encourage you if needed. Feel free to add me. One of the things I'm finally able to do is to just avoid buying a ton of crap. If I keep junk food around its really hard to resist the temptations.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay I'm 21 too ^_^ Just moved out with my bf and basically the same thing happened to me, only I'm the only one who really plumped up in my relationship :grumble: Anywho, you can def accomplish this goal I think you just need to kind of treat weight loss like a game of chess. You know your own weaknesses *like eating junk food alone at home*, so make a preemptive strike on that by keeping that kind of food out of the house!! You're in charge now of your own groceries so it is the perfect time to take responsibility of what you put in your mouth! You can find some good substitutes for things you like or you can still get some junk food but get it in moderation. Don't buy that kind of stuff in bulk -get only a few servings of whatever it is you like so you can have an easier time of controlling your urges (lol < that sounds like I'm talking about something very unrelated to weight loss xD)
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Hi Kay I'm 21 too ^_^ Just moved out with my bf and basically the same thing happened to me, only I'm the only one who really plumped up in my relationship :grumble: Anywho, you can def accomplish this goal I think you just need to kind of treat weight loss like a game of chess. You know your own weaknesses *like eating junk food alone at home*, so make a preemptive strike on that by keeping that kind of food out of the house!! You're in charge now of your own groceries so it is the perfect time to take responsibility of what you put in your mouth! You can find some good substitutes for things you like or you can still get some junk food but get it in moderation. Don't buy that kind of stuff in bulk -get only a few servings of whatever it is you like so you can have an easier time of controlling your urges (lol < that sounds like I'm talking about something very unrelated to weight loss xD)
    That's so true. I actually threw out 2 huge bags of chips last night because I didn't want to see them! Moderation is totally what I need to focus on! I think exercising is my biggest problem. I really need to work harder to be active! thanks for the reply!
  • kwseneca
    Options
    I'm also a college student, and I have a lot of weight to lose. I know how challenging it can be so I'm here to encourage you if needed. Feel free to add me. One of the things I'm finally able to do is to just avoid buying a ton of crap. If I keep junk food around its really hard to resist the temptations.
    It's so easy to be like..Oh lemme grab a snack wrap from mcdonalds between classes, but I'm gunna start packing snacks more. In the end I'll save money! Good luck!!!
  • emr0034
    emr0034 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add, I have lots of encouragement to go around! :)
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a student in Scotand, 23 years old, and I've lost 75lbs so far. Feel free to add to see how I'm doing it, and for friendly chat. :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Add me if you would like :) I am not in college/university anymore but I did live through it already so I know the feelings :) And the ashma, yeah I DEFINATELY know that! haha... My goal was to loose 30-35 lbs, I started in September and so I'm 1/2 way to my goal!!! :D I'd be happy to help with what I'd I can :)