should i count my job as a workout?

Options
HI! Okie Dokes, i was wondering if I should log my job as part of my workout plan? I am usually stand for 4-6 hours sometimes 8 hours four days a week. im not picking up anything heavy. im taking orders, getting food ready, and cleaning the dining room. What do you think? Thank you!!

Replies

• lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I personally don't think so (I've never done it tho!) When you create your fitness profile, you can choose your typical lifestyle (sedentary, active, very active, etc.) Take another look at that and choose accordingly. MFP will adjust your daily calorie intake with your job in mind. :)
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Try wearing a heart rate monitor for workday. Watch to see how much time your heart rate gets up into "workout" zone, say 55-60% of your max, then decide.
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It might be better to just update your activity level settings in MFP.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    HI! Okie Dokes, i was wondering if I should log my job as part of my workout plan? I am usually stand for 4-6 hours sometimes 8 hours four days a week. im not picking up anything heavy. im taking orders, getting food ready, and cleaning the dining room. What do you think? Thank you!!

When you set up your account how did you set your activity level - it should be active rather than sedentary as a lot of MFP useres seem to do. It will adjust your base calorie intake to compensate for you daily life. Then you only log your planned exercise/workouts.
  • CynthiaBewley
    Options
    I guess it depends on what the job is. Standing, basic walking and ordinary things like that, no. But, I am a housecleaner and have a very high level of activity on some days, not such a high level on others. On the days that are especially vigorous, I add the exercise as an additional amount (above the regular daily activity level).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You should include it as part of your regular lifestyle. I think you should set yourself as moderately active, then only log *actual* workouts.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Ok you do burn calories at you job, yes, BUT a work out is something that is OUTSIDE of your normal daily activities (i.e. your job, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping)..... so no, don't count those calories as part of your work out - BUT do take that into account when figuring your daily calorie goals as that does affect how much you burn in a day. standing is not helping your heart/overall health like working out does.