Sugar is the culprit?

Options
So I've been desperately trying to loose weight for the past 6 months... only to loose 6lbs.
Its been a nightmarish struggle filled with doctor visits and doubling workouts but having small results.

I just recently added the sugar calculation to my daily log and I was wondering how big a roll it plays in weight loss. When you began cutting back on sugar did the pounds start to come off?

I kind of just gave up about a month ago (I am back on track now), luckily I didn't gain any weight just yo-yo between two pounds. And even now, I am unable to break the 159lbs point.

Replies

• stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know it's definitely the culprit for me, or at least the leader of the pack of culprits anyway lol. It's the only section of my daily log that I ever go in the red with. I stopped drinking pop for about two months and lost ten pounds, but then I fell off the wagon and gained back five.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    I understand going over, especially if one is a fruit eater (I love fruit). But cutting back on it does help with weight loss right?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a huge culprit. You should try to eat clean. This means the more whole the food the better, watch out for hidden sugars in processed food. Fruit for my body type is almost a no no. Low sugar fruits are dark berries and grapefruit. Thats it. Only have half an apple if you're going to have one, and have protein with it to slow the sugar down.

I found all this out about me by reading Michael Thurmonds 6 week weigh loss book. Once you figure out YOUR body type, you can figure out what foods are keeping you from losing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Different types of carbs may play a role, different types of fats may play a role. Some starchy carbs behave in the body the same or worse than table sugar, products made with very finely ground white wheat flour such as very fluffy breads for example.

Most healthy eating guidelines would have you limiting fruit, eating far more vegetables.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Simple caloric deficit leads to weight loss. Figure out your caloric needs and how to accurately track intake ( I suggest a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING to start) then reduce intake by about 20% and you'll see significant results. You don't need to target a particular nutrient or food type to avoid unless you have a medical or mental reason to. I avoid Wheat Thins solely for mental reasons, as an example.
  • robert9693
    Options
    I've discovered there are 50g of sugar in a can of monster, I have 3 a day.. Only just found out how bad sugar really is
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sugar is always over for me! almost everyday! It is so annoying because I dont eat any sugary things in comparissio nto the normal american diet. I have just come to terms with the fact that one piece of fruit is half my day and then if I have a yogurt, I am over. But I am telling myself that there is good sugar and bad sugar. I am not drinking soda or eating processed foods. I would just try to be more careful about the corn syrup style sugars than the ones that come in a banana.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    Not everyone's body works the same though. Studies are showing the idea of calorie in calorie out doesn't apply to many people that there are multitudes of factors.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Simple caloric deficit leads to weight loss. Figure out your caloric needs and how to accurately track intake ( I suggest a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING to start) then reduce intake by about 20% and you'll see significant results. You don't need to target a particular nutrient or food type to avoid unless you have a medical or mental reason to. I avoid Wheat Thins solely for mental reasons, as an example.

this ^^^

Although I have noticed that processed foods (= sugar) make me crave more sugar...so I try to avoid them if I can (not really great at it yet, however).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbs are carbs. If your total carbs are in check, then sugar won't make a difference. Calorie deficit leads to weight loss. The only exception is a serious medical illness, like diabetes. In a healthy person, it won't make a difference.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lost 300+ lbs. and never tracked a single gram of sugar.... Keep your caloric intake in check with a modest deficit and track your 3 main macro's (proteins, carbs, and fats) that has been my method for the past 3 1/2 years and has served me well..... Best of Luck.... Oh and I do have a medical condition (Type 2 Diabetic),.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    Heavens then I do not know what is up with my body.
    It just won't drop the weight no matter what I do.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Heavens then I do not know what is up with my body.
    It just won't drop the weight no matter what I do.
    are you using a food scale? measuring everything accurately? recording and logging everything accurately? under your calorie goals?
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I cut my sugar back to 12 g (if it came in a package) it was counted. If it was natural (like fruit) I didn't count it. I lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks changing nothing at all but that. Let me add that I counted all bread products as sugar due to the way it breaks down (as a sugar). So the loaf of bread will say 1 g of sugar, but you can't eat any breads or crackers or breading.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If I go over in sugar I don't lose period. I have to constantly keep my sugar in check in order to continually keep losing. I know what people say about caloric deficit, but if I weigh and accurately measure every drop of food into my mouth I will not lose unless I track my sugar.

Try it for a few weeks and see what happens. Couldn't hurt. And you will be very surprised that EVERYTHING has sugar in it!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    for me, eliminating sugar from my diet almost completely seemed to help. i agree with previous posters that weight loss comes from caloric deficit. but when i stopped eating sugar the weight seemed to come off. oh i cut out booze too. just a thought.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I avoid Wheat Thins solely for mental reasons, as an example.

:laugh: mmmm Wheat Thins!! I can seriously devour a whole box in like 2 days.:blushing:
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    Me and sugar have had a troublesome relationship for a while, it has been the demon that's made my life a living hell, and honestly, watching the number go over when I eat healthily (eating 100% clean at the time (literally 100%) drove me insane, so I cut out fruit and any sugar source (all where from natural) and it made me sick, very sick for over a month. I have Crohn's disease, and the stress I put on myself obsessing over that God damn sugar number and the lack of nutrients going into my body by me obsessing over a stupid piece of fruit made me unable to move out of my bed. That's how insane it drove me.

Anyways, trailing off the point slightly, my point is, just don't obsess over it.

For the past few months I've taken out the sugar profile on my diary and just switched it to Carbs, Protein, Fat (in that order) I've started eating fruit and portions of condiments etc. And do you know what? I've never felt so healthy, energetic, fit, my body composition is the best it has ever been, I can work out more efficiently and I'm ENJOYING life now, I can stop making excuses to not go for meals with my friends because I've discovered that A CARB IS A CARB.

And yes, I trailed completely off point again. Sugar is not the culprit, don't obsess over it, keep sugar choices healthy of course from fruit etc, but really, if you start cutting it out now I think you may begin to obsess over it like I did. I recommend changing your diary to just Carbs, Protein, Fats and don't get caught up in whether an apple is going to blow you up.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar (I eat quite a bit of fruit)... I found it a culprit but not the main one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This. Sugar is not bad and does not hinder weight loss unless you have a medical condition.